Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norton

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember getting one certain virus over and over again, can't remember the name though. But it always rebooted the Amiga after 7 minutes, that was quite a pain in the ass. To get rid of it, I always unplugged the Amiga from the power for some hours, then it seemed to be gone for a while, but I guess as I inserted the infected disk again, it was back

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is funny the things we convince ourselves work to fix something, when later we look back and realise how crazy it was.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Now take Mac OS X. Why hasn't that attracted the same level as Windows? It is a fixed OS much like Windows. All copies of the same version are the same and will run the same code. And pretty much all versions of OS X are compatible to run the same code. Some does exist, but it is more the smaller userbase and how the OS is used that I think limited the interest, more than being able to.
    I've long wondered if the increasing popularity of OSX and iOS will make people target apple OSs more, I think we might even have briefly discussed it here. It's likely, I'd imagine. And possibly quite attractive considering the usual Apple zealots staunch belief that Macs can't get a virus, so are likely to let their guard down. I know I've had a dodgyish looking attachment or a link before, so I've gone to a mac to open it. Of course, it helps that they were work's macs - so if it gets stuffed up it isn't really my problem

It seems that the PC door has been well and truly broken down, it's easy for baddies to target all the machines running out of date XP, unpatched versions, the naive, etc... easier pickings.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I reckon iPhones and iPads will probably become targets of viruses due to their popularity. Probably more so than OSX.

But it will probably depend on how secure iPhones and iPads are. Would it be easy to develop a virus for it?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    iPhones have been the target of security attacks for a long time. There are often reports of Apple needing to do OS updates to patch potential risks. As with everything, the thieves will only target the post popular hardware as they know there will be a greater chance of getting a result. The iPhone and iPad are great targets. However with mobile devices there are a lot more security risks than desktop systems, especially if you factor in wireless networks and bluetooth. Leave bluetooth active and you run the risk of being hacked on any device these days. I only ever turn wifi, bluetooth or mobile data connections on for my android phone when I'm actually using them, then they go straight off again.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!