Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember when I first started working, using dumb terminals.
    Nothing stored locally, just connected to a central mainframe.
    Later we got computers with the software installed on the drive.
    We are now talking about going back to services being located centrally and accessing them through the web.
    Strange how things go full circle.
    In this case the idea behind it makes sense.
    Some of our apps are licensed based.
    We know that not all the licences are being used all the time.
    Therefore if we used web based programs, a licence would only be given to a user when it was actually in use.
    Means we can buy a lot less licenses.
    As for the home computer dissapearing, I'm not so sure.
    I can see them becoming more usefull as technology improves.
    I can see them being used to control the whole household.
    Eight point were listed with the quote "not much really"
    I disagree, think about how much time you spend over the eight points.
    Soon it will be easier to download TV content onto your computer.
    Already have TV cards I know but that will be the tip of the iceberg.
    I do my food shopping online.
    I can see a time when the fridge tells your computer that is out of milk and the computer orders it over the web.
    Heating, lighting, security systems and entertainment systems all controlled by a computer.
    Access your computer from work and tell it record a broadcast you had forgotten to set the timer for.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But a lot of what you mention TiredOfLife is how computer enthusists and long term computer users use a PC. The point I am trying to make is that the average family home isn't that computer literate compared to us. They have very basic needs compared to what we require a PC for, and given the option to simplify their computer life down to a console like system then has an easy to use OS that will not suddenly crash and stop booting without paying for someone to reinstall the OS for them is what they are looking for.

Plus many of the things you have mentioned can already be achived without the need for a computer.

Recording programs remotely is already possible with standalone TV boxes. Plus you can already access your Sky Digibox from the internet or a 3G remote control, access the complete TV listings in the Sky guide and set any of them up for recording to the Sky Plus or Sky HD harddrive.

Some fridges already exist that can reorder food directly from their built in touch screen computers.

Security, lighting, heating etc can also already be controlled remotely over the internet, but should such systems be tied into a PC or a small standalone computer connected the the house's network?

I think the future will not be a central PC, but a series of computer based systems networked together and all connected to a central rooter which in turn connects them all to the internet for remote access. Of course this is already all possible if you have the money. But again, I don't think the average home would want or need most of the things mentioned here. Most people are just not that bothered by technology, unless it is a mobile phone!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah but that's the vaerage family now.
    Younger generations maybe be different.
    What you say about set top boxes and the rest is right.
    But I think this will lead to people thinking, why have so many devices that are capable of doing the same things.
    One box, one connection to a power supply and one connection to the outside world.
    Neater, lower power consumption.
    As you say, alot of this is available now if you have a few quid.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would you want a computer to control everything though?

For example, the way I have everything now works very well for me:

A light switch to turn the light on and off
    A burglar alarm which can be switched on by entering a code - I don't need to switch it on or off when I am not near it
    TV for watching the TV, Videos etc.
    And of course a computer for computery stuff.

For recording stuff off the TV, I don't have to do this often, and if I forget to set it up it won't have been of much importance and I could probably watch it again on another channel the next day anyway.

All this stuff about controlling stuff via computers is cool and fun to do, but it's practical use? None (in most situations).

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Ste mate, it's not like you to be stuck in the past.
    I have already answered your question in this post.
    Less boxes, cables and wires.
    The ability to do things remotely from another location.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Steve, for security systems you can already log into your system remotely over the internet to set and check all of the system. This includes being able to view the live video feeds from security cameras. They can also ring your mobile if the alarm is set off. Although personally I think it would be quite worrying to log into your house's security cameras and see some burglars robbing you, or maybe worse... your wife having it off with the milkman!

I personally don't see the fully automated house becoming the standard way of living for all. A lot of people wouldn't want it or don't need it. How many people really want to be able to control the washing machine and cooker via the internet?

The other issue is security. Imagine if your house was completely automated and controlled by a computer that could be accessed remotely via the internet. That would be a prime hacker target. You could end up seeing house virus infections that set the gas cooker to turn all of the gas rings on and not light them, and then a few minutes later switch the lights on in the house and... BOOM!!! Imagine the house insurance claim for that! My house blew up because it caught a virus!

Would we end up arguing if the Windows or Mac house was better to live in?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Steve, for security systems you can already log into your system remotely over the internet to set and check all of the system. This includes being able to view the live video feeds from security cameras. They can also ring your mobile if the alarm is set off. Although personally I think it would be quite worrying to log into your house's security cameras and see some burglars robbing you, or maybe worse... your wife having it off with the milkman!

I personally don't see the fully automated house becoming the standard way of living for all. A lot of people wouldn't want it or don't need it. How many people really want to be able to control the washing machine and cooker via the internet?

The other issue is security. Imagine if your house was completely automated and controlled by a computer that could be accessed remotely via the internet. That would be a prime hacker target. You could end up seeing house virus infections that set the gas cooker to turn all of the gas rings on and not light them, and then a few minutes later switch the lights on in the house and... BOOM!!! Imagine the house insurance claim for that! My house blew up because it caught a virus!

Would we end up arguing if the Windows or Mac house was better to live in?
    OMG, if only I could nominate this post!!!!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/