Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Shadow of the Third Moon

Hello all,

While looking around on a Youtube user's channel I came across a clip of a Amiga CD game called The Shadow of the Third Moon, a shooter that uses Voxels.

Has anyone ever played this game?
    And what did you think of it?

I am asking as I am considering getting it for my collection of Amiga games one day.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a late Amiga game, released in 1998 and required at least a 68030 at 25Mhz and 4MB fast ram, so basically an A4000/30 as minimum spec, so a standard A1200 couldn't run it as it needed at least an 030 accelerator. It was a port of a PC game released a few years earlier.

I only ever played the game briefly and didn't really get into it. You control a futuristic aircraft that is like a plane, but can also hover like a helicopter. You fly around doing missions and can pick your weapons setup at the beginning of each mission.

It is a rare Amiga game so maybe worthwhile to a collector, but as a game it isn't the best flight sim on the Amiga by a long way, and probably wouldn't play it for too long these days.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Okay, good reason to wait with purchasing it, there are other more classic games I would rather like to collect first.

You can close the thread if you want.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We can leave it open in case anyone else wants to comment on the game.

BTW, have you noticed how Voxel graphics were a very short lived graphical technology. It was an interesting system allowing 3D graphics to be generated from software, without the need for dedicated 3D hardware. I suppose it appeared at a time when some developers were trying to push systems like the Amiga and PC to do more than their graphics hardware could alone. The most interesting game that used Voxel shaders was Outcast on the PC. Have you played it? Interesting game with a great story and universe. The graphics look fairly primitive and a bit limited these days, but at the time were quite something.

Do you have Outcast? If not I've a spare copy I've been trying to find a new home for, for quite some time. Never used copy and if you want it let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Strike Force Centauri and Comanche on the PC also used Voxels I believe, that is why I recognize the technology somewhat.
    It seems the technology is not completely dead as I read on Wikipedia (I don't think someone would lie about this) mentions that some projects still use it.

Nope, I do not have Outcast but can I run it on Windows XP?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can get it to work in XP. I had it installed and working a few years ago in XP Pro SP2.

Take a look at: http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=158 for more details and also http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Downloads/patches.html for the patches.

The version I have is the Best of Infogrames release on 2 CDs. If you want the game let me know and you can have it for the price of postage.