Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I was a bit defensive as well seen as I bought one and I do think it is worth the money, I'll be more careful with my posts in the future! (I am new here, but now I can use my Amiga again....)

Thanks for clearing the air, I never intended to upset anyone!

Downloads
    Uploads
    hi these are easy to make the cable i have not used the resistors as i dont know if really needed i will add to another cable and see as harrison said

the adapter cables can be diectly to 23pin connector
    5v and rgb wire

mainboard £20 odd
    box from maplins £4.20
    hood and 23pin connector(need to be sourced) £5
    cable heat shrink or cut up some mulicore cable and use outer sheaf( i did later)

so total £30 odd

john

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will it work to simply plug a 1084 cable from the Amiga RGB to the board RGB/VGA input? Different wiring?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I initially tried connecting an Amiga RGB to VGA adapter to an A500, and then used a VGA cable to connect to the GBS8220, but I couldn't get a picture. I've since discovered the external PSU I was using to power the GBS was providing too much voltage and causing the unit to not work correctly. As soon as I can source a new PSU to power it I'm going to try that method again, as it would be so much easier and tidier to be able to do that, rather than having to connect via the custom made cable. I've also got a sync strike, so when I get time I'm going to do some experiments to see what I can get to work, and how good the results are.

In fact I'm thinking I might as well create an article on these forums once I've done that, exploring the GBS8220 and Sync Strike devices and see what I can achieve with them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so maybe you just need a proper PSU, it should be 5V, 2A right? I'm thinking of ordering one of these and see if I can figure it out. It would be really cool to make some kind of community tutorial thing to allow people with just basic soldering skills (like me ) to make their own scan doubler on the cheap.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We have been having a huge discussion about the GBS8220 over at Amibay for some time (since I discovered the device). But I am definitely planning a guide/tutorial about the GBS8220 and the Sync Strike when I've had more time to explore everything fully.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Cheers for the Amibay tip, found the thread, it looks very helpful.

I've ordered one now, will post my results when I get it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tbh, I think £99 is very expensive in this day & age. If you remember how few chips were on the DCE SD/FF cards to do a true job, no way is there £99 worth of components. I dare say labour makes up the biggest part of this so I'd have to agree with Harrison in every instance. £99 for something like this is just too expensive.

@ Harrison

Any idea when your guide/tutorial post will be up?

Also, any good for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/amiga-500-...item1c27d2f9b9
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That definitely could be useful for the connectors. Cheers.

Regarding tutorial, I just haven't had the time yet (baby), but will try and begin something very soon. The GBS8220 is definitely an interesting piece of hardware. Not perfect but useful. It does a reasonable job of upscaling but obviously not to the same level as an Indivision Scan doubler or a dedicated XRGB or EDGE upscaler, but for the money you really can't complain.

I managed to get a 5V 2A PSU from ebay for £2 and that works perfectly with the device, and solved issues I previously had with instability.

Many people have been moaning about the GBS8220 but they are comparing it with the expensive options and magnifying screenshots to pick out minute image noise in the upscaled output. I'm sure they just don't have anything better to do!

If you want to just hook up an A1200 and play some WHDLoad installed games for fun then it is the perfect solution to get the Amiga connected to an LCD monitor. Simple as.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a moment there, I thought you were calling me baby; "I just haven't had the time yet (baby)," & then I remembered you are now a new dad.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.