Thread: HDD price rise!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

HDD price rise!

Did already someone notice the big price rise of HDDs? I heard it some days ago on TV, 50% of HDDs are built in Thailand, and due to the happenings there, the production encountered problems, and that's why the prices went up almost double!!!

I checked now with the disks I bought lately for my Qnap, and indeed, the price went up 100%. Quite happy that I don't need a NAS at this moment.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was in the PC Pro newsletter the other day. I was quite surprised, but I suppose these things happen.

Fortunately, I don't need to buy any hard disks now.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw this also last week. Due to all the flooding in Asia. It should come back down to previous price levels in a couple of months once the flooding is over.

Just shows the impact of relying on a certain product from one location/supplier, and what can happen when it goes wrong.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also noticed many stores immediately put their prices up on current stock (which they bought at low prices) to cash in.

Probably normal practice I guess, as they will have to pay higher prices to re-stock, then may have to lower the prices on that expensive stock in thefuture so they do it to level things out in the long run.

Ebay will be doing a good trade on second hand drives I'd imagine! Luckily, I have no need for any drives at the moment, unless one fails *touchwood*.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes my HD died last Friday had a look on line at a computer shop I use, £30 popped into town to the shop £48 same HD just that they hadn't updated their site (which it does say online to phone for latest prices) anyway he's going on about what's happening with the price rises. I said, I'll just leave it, next day had a look on gumtree, there's one double the size £10 got it and working great

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are SSD prices changing?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think so. From what I've seen in the last couple of weeks SSD's are continuing to fall in price, with 60GB ones around £70 and 120GB around £140. This is more because ram prices have not been affected by this. They were hit more by Japan earlier in the year when ram prices did double for some time, but ram has now dropped right back down and you can get a matched pair of 4GB (8GB total) DDR3 DIMMS for £30 these days.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!