Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Is anyone planning on playing this new Star Wars MMORPG when it is released on the 20th December?

It is shaping up to be something quite special, looking at all the preview videos.

The initial pre-release purchase gets you a couple of small bonus items in-game, plus a 30 day subscription to get started, plus preordering gets you a code to gain access to extra content on the official website www.swtor.com.

If enough people were going to play this then it would be great to all join up in the game on release and experience it together. I'm more sure who or what I would play in the game. Republic or Empire. Or the species or profession. Smuggler could be interesting, and less predictable that Jedi. Equally going with a Republic Commando would create some Clone War style gameplay and could be fun. Equally the Sith professions look very interesting, especially the Sith Inquisitor and Imperial Agent. Although being a Bounty Hunter would be cool too. A lot of possibilities to explore. I hope they allow multiple character creation so these can all be explored in parallel.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will give it a try, for sure, i always liked Star Wars. and it looks a good game.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I'm still not into MMOs, don't have the time, I prefer playing offline games.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SWTOR is going free to play this autumn. All you will need to do is buy the game (currently it can't be picked up for £8.99 on play.com). It comes with a free month's full subscription, by which time the free to play should have started to carry on for free.

Subscriptions will still exist and give players more in game areas and items, with free players able to use micro payments to buy rare items and extras.

@DC. SWTOR is well worth playing, even if you only like offline single player RPGs. Unlike any other MMO it has fully scripted stories for every playable character type. You get to explore the main gaming world where other players are also running around, but then trigger story events and areas where on you (any any companions if you have them in your party) can see and experience. These are full RPG scripted stories with great voice acting and a very nice story to explore and see where it leads.

I've been playing the game since the betas and am still enjoying it just as much. My first character is still the main one I play. A Smuggler scoundrel. He's even married now! And the NPCs you pick up along the way each have their own stories to explore. Play alongside each one and as their affection for you grows it unlocks stories about them for you to take part in.

The space battles are also great fun. Pure arcade on rails space shooter that requires you upgrading your ship to win as they get harder.

The multiplayer co-op gaming is also great fun. Going to the Fleet you can then go on special muliplayer missions, which is great fun and can gain you special weapon and item drops. Plus exp.

Once it goes free to play I hope you all join me in the game. Would be fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After the last bastardisation, "The Force unleashed" one easy answer......

"No."
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved "The Force Unleashed". But it was just a brain dead light arcade basher with an interesting story, but is intertwined with the universe and linked with other events mentioned in a few novels.

SWTOR is a completely different experience. From the same developers as the original Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, it feels very similar in many ways, just multiplayer. This is much more Star Wars than any releases. Although it is equally very much an RPG and an MMO as well.