Downloads
    Uploads

adding hard drive to A1200

hi all, i have got an a1200, it is a vanilla system, so what is needed to install a hard drive?

i have not yet unscrewed it, but is will anything more than a CF card & adapter needed, or does it need brackets/etc as well.

i do have some old laptop drives, one can be used, but then again will i need a cable?

ta

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is a standard A1200 that has never been opened then you should hopefully already have a 2.5" HDD mounting bracket and a 2.5" IDE cable. If not, the cable isn't hard to source, and you don't need the mounting bracket as you could just use some valcro to hold the drive in place.

You can indeed use old laptop 2.5" IDE drives. I used them in a few of my Amigas. 60GB and 40GB ones in 2 of my A1200's and a 6GB one in an A600. The thing to remember is that as standard the Amiga cannot use HDDs larger than 4GB total size, so even with a much larger HDD you would lose the rest of the space and only be able to use the first 4GB of the drive. This is caused by the standard Amiga FFS filesystem. To get around this problem we use another file system called SFS. Have a look in the classicamiga wiki for full details on how to use SFS to setup, partition and format a large HDD with SFS. Normally the most reliable method is to first partition the first part of the HDD with the standard FFS of about 500MB and installed Workbench onto it and get it working. Then partition the rest of the HDD with SFS to be able to read and use the rest of the drive to load your games and demos onto.

For CF cards, only buy Sandisk cards as they are the only really reliable one. I've had too many issues with Kingston cards and other makes are hit and miss too. You can get a 4GB Sandisk CF card for less than £10, and an IDE to CF card adapter for a couple of pounds on ebay from chinese sellers.

And to setup the harddrive/cf card it is easiest to actually use a PC and a copy of the emulator WinUAE. This allows direct access to Amiga HDDs connected to the PC, and you can setup a new HDD or CF card in the emulators. Just boot up Workbench in the emulator, with the HD/CF card connected and added to the emulators harddrive properties page. You can then use an Amiga partitioning program to directly set it up, and then copy Workbench on to it. Again look in the Classicamiga Wiki as some details are in there.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recommend getting the 4GB CF IDE hard drive package from AmigaKit. It is doesn't cost a lot and it provides you with everything you need.

It is ready-to-go: we supply it partitioned and fully formatted. The drive is preloaded with our exclusive AmigaKit.com OS Install program which allows you to quickly install Workbench with the minimum of hassle. Directory Opus 4.16 GPL is preloaded onto the hard disk for easy file management. The Amiga's premier game installer, WHDLOAD (unregistered version) is also pre-installed with kind permission from the author.

Amiga 1200 / 600 version supplied with CF media, 44-way IDE cable and adapter board, ready-to-go. Amiga 4000 / 4000T version supplied with CF media, 40-way IDE cable and adapter board, ready-to-go. You can also specify the IDE cable length that is supplied with the hard drive below. Picture for illustration purposes only- actual make/model may vary.

This drive is formatted with the normal FastFileSystem. If you have an A1200 / A4000, you can request us to have the drive pre-formatted for SmartFileSystem - we do not charge any extra for this service.

Compatible with Kickstart 2.05 (37.300 or 37.350), Kickstart 3.0, Kickstart 3.1, Kickstart 3.5 or Kickstart 3.9.
    You can find it here: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I got one of the Amigakit hd set-up and I liked it, as all you have to do is chose which OS your going to install and it works great even if you want to re-install a different OS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks all.

not done much, checked my workbench and it doesnt have hdformat (or whatever the software is) and the manual implies that only HD 1200's had it on the floppy (seems an expensive thing, cheaper just to have it included i would have thought) but been going through my games on floppy, and not in a major rush now as most appear to work enough, but some favourites dont

and with xmas coming up funds are needing to be spent there.

I have finally reorganised my workspace (i work from home) and now have the 1200, an Xbox 1, an Xbox 360, my old (6+ years) pc and my work laptop all connected (well the XB1 and 1200 via a scart adapter that takes 2 secs to swap cables) to work straight away.

Also an unused slide out tray on the desk has been dremmeledat the back and the 1200 fits perfectly in the space with easy access to the floppy