For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

The new and improved C64 is here!!!!

And it's another PC in an Amiga, but this time you don't reequire the elite skilz to build one (Thanks for a heads up by Kitty):

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx

It has great novalty factor, plenty of reviews on youtube, but the price is kind of high as you might expect.

Not sure what's going on with the Vic Slim - looks like another generic zero footprint PC to me.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only question would be, what's the point of this?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, there is little point in this for the price they are charging.

There always has been a community fascinated with building modern PCs (using mini-itx mobos) into retro cases and many other objects, but to buy one off the shelf that is just a PC in a C64 style case doesn't hold much appeal to me.

If I were going to do this I would want to do it as a project myself, not for someone to charge me way over the odds for something already built. Also it isn't actually a real C64, s it annoys me that they are marketing it as such, much like they have with their "Amiga" systems. Never liked C= USA as they don't stand for anything to do with the the real original Commodore, and definitely nothing to do with the C64 or the Amiga. They are just trying to case in on the retro scene by building PCs that look like retro systems and sticking emulators on them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just remember how unergonomic the keyboard of the C64 was. For typing in some commands it was ok, but for writing longer text, your hands started to ache quite easily and fast. But I guess you can plug a USB keyboard to it

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you guys.

Novelty factor is high and it would make a great EMU/Emulation machine rather than a main PC. But the price is just too high -

I mean $1000 for an Atom? A puny Atom?
    $1500 for an i7, the right CPU but the price is unbelievable!

Imagine what kind of SFF PC you could get for that - or even a laptop.

Community projects are the place for these kinds of things unless they can get the price right down. I do enjoy watching people build machines in threads; having it all done for you does take away the sense of pride at having something fairly unique.

I just hope they did their market research. Rich may buy a few, and looking at how they are priced they probably don't expect huge order numbers.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    Community projects are the place for these kinds of things unless they can get the price right down. I do enjoy watching people build machines in threads; having it all done for you does take away the sense of pride at having something fairly unique.
    Spot on, there. Even with (or if) a reduced price, the compromised nature of these things really makes it not worth buying, for me. Now as a project or a labour of love... very neat. Also a good conversation piece, but it'd be a bit of a boring conversation if it ended with 'yeah, I just bought it like that'.