Poll: Which HD disc format will end up being the standard?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like M$ have thrown in the towel...

Microsoft 'would consider Xbox 360 Blu-Ray drive'

Despite throwing its lot in with the HD-DVD crowd, Microsoft has admitted it would bow to consumer demand if the Sony-backed Blu-Ray technology won the format war.

According to Xbox group marketing manager Albert Penello, this would even stretch to an Xbox 360 console fitted with Blu-Ray.

"It should be consumer choice and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," he said.

But he added that entertainment group Warner's decision to swap its support from Toshiba's HD-DVD hi-definition format for Blu-Ray is unlikely to have a major impact on the console war between the Xbox 360 and the Sony PlayStation 3.

"You can't say it's not a bummer, not a setback, but I've seen this battle declared over so many times," he said.

"I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."
    Guess that will clear the way for more xbox games on BD disc.... which is good for PS3 owners, as it means no more shoddy ports from a smaller storage format.
    This is not a signature

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus Sony would make money from the sale of Xbox 360's!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a few more nails have been hammered into the HD-DVD coffin as Walmart & Best Buy in the US have withdrawn the format. Oh and rumors suggest that Universal have just gone dual format. I reckon the whole thing might be over before the summer.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it is already over anyway, so no need to wait for the summer. Stores such as Tesco have been selling Toshiba HD-DVD players for under £200 since before Christmas which has to prove something. Normally a new technology won't drop in price so quickly.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not just Best Buy and Walmart that have made announcements either recently. Since the 4th of January, around 30 companies which have previously supported HD DVD, including retailers, film distribution companies etc., have abandoned the HD DVD camp.

These include Netflix, HBO, National Geographic, Imation, Woolworths, Sonic Solutions, ADV Films, Manga Films, and so on.

Moreover, sales ratios have been hovering in the 83:17 range in favour of BR ever since Warner's decision (when ratios had been typically 66:36 throughout 2007), in spite of firesale attempts by Toshiba (sub-$150 players) the past weeks.

The writing's been on the wall for a while now. Toshiba ought to do the decent thing and officially pull the plug instead of shoving more hardware into the hands of uneducated customers who think they're buying into a format that will be supported for years to come.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And in 6 months time, one of the newest Media formats will be totally retro....

From nought to retro in 18 months...
    This is not a signature

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Game over.

Finito. The End. Toshiba poised to stop investing money in production or development of new HD DVD equipment. Remaining stock will still be sold.

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a sad day. An incomplete, more expensive, more restrictive technology will be the next format. Well, at least I have my HD DVD player and I'll be able to pick up discs for next to nothing. I hope consumers are happy.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

i haven't read all these post on this WAR i've typed my thoughts on osuk, however i'd like to know if anyone here has either format,hddvd or blueray to argue a defense for?

in my honest opinion even today the Playstation 2 was never considerd a true dvd player more something it did as an extra! is the ps3 the same or better as a blueray player? i don't know i don't have one. in 3 years time when a blueray player is less than 50 quid will the ps3's player be so important just like ps2 was.

this time round to me it seems most ppl have backed off this war from either camp be it blueray or hd-dvd! it's not like DVD ain't serving us more than well enough you could understand the need to go from vhs to dvd,is a big difference but dvd to hd-dvd/blueray is not quite so obvious, I mean a good dvd looks just great, the only flaw is scratched disc etc where as vhs was lo-res etc compared to dvd not to mention tape chew up's etc. with VHS was a need to upgrade with dvd there isn't the same urgency.

The only reason i could think of to ditch DVD is HD but even then you have upscalling dvd players! i reckon most of us will dodge the whole question untill it's non avoidable, affordable and worth it! The last thing i want to see is the bad bad old days when vhs thrashed betamax/phillips etc and we where left paying a minimum of 9.99 for a film a bad monopoly at the time rarely did you get any new movie under that price.
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    in my honest opinion even today the Playstation 2 was never considerd a true dvd player more something it did as an extra! is the ps3 the same or better as a blueray player?
    Yes. The PS3 is still considered the best blu-ray player on the market. And not just because there hasn't been a good standalone player released yet, it is a pretty good player. It costs less than an equally good standalone player, and is also upgradeable through online firmware updates so it follows the latest standards. Not all standalone players can do that.

As for DVD being good enough, it is for now. Until you get yourself an HDTV. Unless you have some form of upscaling going on when watching your DVDs, then you'll start seeing its flaws. Compression artifacts, obvious pixellization due to low resolution and such. Incidentally, the PS3 also has DVD upscaling features, so your DVDs will look pretty good on an HDTV if playing them on that.

I've watched a good deal of movies on blu-ray now, and personally I don't regret having upgraded to it. DVDs don't really come close to the image detail and sharpness, even when upscaled. Also you get uncompressed audio on just about all releases if you have the stereo equipment for it.