I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

MSX1 to MSX2+ board.

Just found this (mainly because I've just bought myself a MSX for the first time in over 20 years), a project that apparently can turn a MSX into a MSX2+. The websites in Portuguese but here is a Google translation version.
    As disclosed in the list MSXBR-L, our good friend Ricardo Oazem is willing to design, develop and manufacture a new kit MSX2 we're calling KIT MSX2 + +, since it presents a considerable improvement compared to kits that already existed market.

The Oazem's own request, I will be responsible for management, research interest and who knows, the list of applications of this new product.
    Features of the new kit:

VDP 2 +
    FM Stereo
    IDE Controller
    Memory Mapper 512Kb
    Outputs composite video, s-video and RGB (using CXA)
    internal Clock

Cost: R$ 400.00 to R$ 450.00. (£150.00 to £170)
    The value of reserves has not been defined, it depends on the number of stakeholders.
    Delivery time: 2 and a half months (after the start of production).

This post is nothing more than an FAQ about the new KIT ​​MSX 2 + + Oazem that is developing. I will always be updating this topic and just go find it in Project page MSX 2 + + that there will be a link pointing to this post.

So let the questions and especially answers!

Q: This new project is a full plate or is a kit for use with the original board of the computer.
    A: It is a kit to be installed along with the original board of the computer.

Q: Will I be able to install it on my Hotbit?
    A: Yes! The kit will be compatible not only with the Hotbit, but also with the Expert (except Plus DDPlus).

Q: I have a DDPlus (or Plus), can I install it?
    A: For now the answer is: Maybe! How do we know DDPlus (and Plus) has its own peculiarities. After building the first prototype we have this definitive answer.

Q: I have not seen the RTC (clock chip) in the product specification. It will not have watch?
    A: There will be yes!

P: The kit will be installed in "scheme PIGBACK"? This gives a very bad touch!
    A: No! The idea is that the kit is a bad soldier, thus avoiding any contact.

Q: How will the expansion slots?
    A: The final disposition of the slots, should be the user's taste however, I will expand one of the slots to contain the M. mapper, the Sub Rom, msx-music and IDE
    This slot to be expanded, can be chosen from the slots 1, 2 or 3
    (Slot 0 belongs to ROM)
    EX1:
    If the slot is the second choice then:
    Slot_0 = ROM
    Slot_1 = external connector (A)
    Slot_2.0 = RAM (m. mapper 512k)
    SROM = Slot_2.1
    Slot_2.2 = msx-music (bios FM)
    Slot_2.3 = IDE
    Slot_3 = external connector (B) EX2:
    If the slot is chosen then the third
    Slot_0 = ROM
    Slot_1 = external connector (A)
    Slot_2 = external connector (B)
    Slot_3.0 = RAM (m. mapper 512k)
    SROM = Slot_3.1
    Slot_3.2 = msx-music (bios FM)
    Slot_3.3 = IDE
    * I personally prefer this distribution, for being the most common among imported micros (SLOT_1 SLOT_2 connector A and B connector)

Q: How do I know where to weld?
    A: The kit will be accompanied by an instruction manual. This will be available for download here on the blog too.

Q: I have no way to weld, how can I do to set up my kit?
    A: Any electronic technician will be able to install the kit following the instructions.

Q: The IDE is built on the board or be placed in a slot only?
    A: The logic of IDE controller is built into the circuit of KIT. There will be a "cartridge" separately.

That's it.
    Send your question by e-mail (ritchosam@hotmail.com) or comment.
    Not the cheapest but could well be a cheaper alternative than buying a MSX2+ and shipping it to the UK (for me at least).
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do MSX2+ cost a lot these days then? And how much was your original MSX?

This is one system I never owned, and never saw running back in the day. I do know it had pretty good hardware that was more capable than most 8-bit systems at the time, and it was very popular in Japan. I also know that Microsoft were behind it and could have been as big a success as the C64 had it not been for its failure to break into European market in a big way.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The MSX was big in Europe. Just not in the UK. It was especially big in the Netherlands as Phillips was a major MSX manufacturer. I don't know how much MSX 2+ are in the UK as you rarely see them (most people who owned a MSX either had a Yamaha for the music or a Toshiba HX-10 (which is what I had and have just bought boxed and complete for £19.99 + P&P).

You can buy a MSX2 from the Netherlands for 60 Euros plus P&P which is probably what I will get next as you can't get a SD card reader for the MSX1 without other buying equipment that is as rare as rocking horse sh1t so at the moment I'm converting various .CAS files into .WAV files and playing them on my iPod to my HX-10.

Just got what I think is a bit of a bargain Alien 8 and Gunfright. Didn't realise it had Gunfright as well until after I won (O.K. so it's not a fully boxed Gunfright but still).

I think the reason most UK MSX owners didn't get a MSX2 (apart from the fact it didn't have a Hello Tosh got a Toshiba ad campaign) is the experience they had loading tape games as there were 4 different possible commands to load a tape (load, cload, bload and run) and if you didn't read the instructions for the tape you were trying to load properly then the MSX would try to load the whole game (5mins plus) before it decided it wouldn't run it. Something I had forgotten until I tried to load Finders Keepers using bload"cas:",r when I should have been using run"cas:". Bloody annoying.

EDIT: Just got some scans of English MSX mags which I am now in the process of converting to pdf format if I can stop reading them (Alien 8 and Finders Keepers Maps in one and loads of type in programmes).
    Last edited by Buleste; 14th September 2011 at 17:01.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    This project has now been cancelled as there is another project that now makes this one obsolete The Expert 3 Expansion Board. Unfortunately the website for this new board is less than clear (at least it is for me even after using google translate) but it does come in a preassembled form or DIY.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazing the projects people are still working on for retro systems.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just waiting for them to build an 8-bit supercomputer.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be something amazing, and I can't see why not.

Imagine multiple C64 CPUs all working together processing something. Or for audio a load of SID chips playing a full chip tune orchestra.