C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Fiber is coming!!

From September on, we're gonna have fiber connection in Luxembourg. Unfortunately the street where I live doesn't have the cables yet, but since 3 weeks, the road is marked with a spray can, meaning they're gonna do something. I know that they need to change the water and gas connections, as they're 35 years old, and then they're also gonna put the fiber, at least I hope so, otherwise it would be stupid to open the road, close, and reopen it again later.

But with the old normal cables, I will already get the VDSL connection, which is the smallest one, with 30Mbit download (at the moment I have 20Mbit in theory and 14.5Mbit for real), but, and here's the best part, the upload will be 10Mbit, instead of my 768kbit at the moment. And the whole thing will also be 35€ cheaper.

Looking forward to this, hoping it's happening as fast as possible.

With the fiber you will then have 2 more options, which are 50Mbit down, 25Mbit up, and the biggest one will be 100Mbit down and 50Mbit up, which would be for the same price as I have now.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To say I'm extremely jealous is a huge understatement!

Here in the UK most of us not living the largest cities are still stuck with very old copper phone lines only, with most exchanges only running at ADSL 8Mbit maximum speeds, with the lucky few on exchanges upgraded to ADSL2+ 24Mbit. The even luckier in the largest cities have access to cable TV based fibre internet offering up to 50Mbits, and in a few trial areas 100Mbit.

For me in the rural wilderness on a 35+ year old copper line I'm luck to get 3Mbit/s at best and that is it. No plans for countrywide fibre, no plans to upgrade my local exchange any time soon. Therefore no options.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great news, Demon! I'm sure you will be happy with a fibre connection. It's ultra fast!

We got fibre in our apartment a few days ago. It's a big difference from ADSL or ordinary cable. The best line we can get right now is 100 (!)Mbit/s (both up and down). That's overkill for my personal usage, but it's cool to have the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    From September on, we're gonna have fiber connection in Luxembourg. Unfortunately the street where I live doesn't have the cables yet, but since 3 weeks, the road is marked with a spray can, meaning they're gonna do something. I know that they need to change the water and gas connections, as they're 35 years old, and then they're also gonna put the fiber, at least I hope so, otherwise it would be stupid to open the road, close, and reopen it again later.

But with the old normal cables, I will already get the VDSL connection, which is the smallest one, with 30Mbit download (at the moment I have 20Mbit in theory and 14.5Mbit for real), but, and here's the best part, the upload will be 10Mbit, instead of my 768kbit at the moment. And the whole thing will also be 35€ cheaper.

Looking forward to this, hoping it's happening as fast as possible.

With the fiber you will then have 2 more options, which are 50Mbit down, 25Mbit up, and the biggest one will be 100Mbit down and 50Mbit up, which would be for the same price as I have now.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard now that they won't start in my street until next year, and my provider announced that my street is finished the 30.12.2012! But then it has to be finished, they're starting soon, so hopefully they do my street one of the first.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still very Jealous!

Crap broadband connections that have not improved for many years are really holding back the UK. Think a move to a country with fibre is in order!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The area I live in got fiber half a year ago. Except not my street. For now, they first check how many people in a street want to have it, and if there's not enough potential clients they don't bother digging there. And I was practically the only one where I live. So no go.

Fortunately I'm moving to another apartment in a couple of months. No fiber there either, but there's cable so I can finally get some real fast and stable speeds there. I do have 10Mb now, but unfortunately it isn't always stable. It's not a capacity problem, no matter what speed I have this instability persists. They just can't figure out the cause. I've had technicians scouring every little detail, switching out every switchable part, but no dice. So I live with it, and complain whenever it gets too bad and they try to figure it out again. One time when I called, the guy in the other end said "Oh right, the guy with the mystery-line."

Will be glad to finally be rid of this problem soon.
    Last edited by Teho; 8th September 2011 at 16:55.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would really need the upload speed, don't care so much about download, I have patience

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I too would want it for the upload speed... 448Kb/s isn't the greatest for trying to seed. Would love an upload speed in the MB/s range.