Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 bad releases in a row means I've ditched FF for Chrome now and whilst I don't like Chrome it at least has some speed to it.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I update FF whenever it alerts me to a new version and I'm currently running FF7 without any issues. Seems the same as 4,5 and 6 really, although maybe a little faster. Everything seems to work well for me.

Regarding Chrome, I hate it as a desktop browser, but love the native browser in Android, which I assume is based on the same technology? In Android it makes perfect sense and works really well. For mobile browsers I've been a fan of Opera Mini/mobile for some time now, but I have both installed on my Xperia Play and the main built in browser actually seems faster and is easier and less cumbersome to use. I big contrast to my Nokia smartphone I was using before where Opera worked 100% better than the built in browser. The one thing I do still like about Opera mini is how it auto formats a column of text to the best reading width for the device automatically, so if I'm reading for say the BBC F1 site I can quickly read the articles, whereas with the main Android browser it still insists on rendering the page as intended for a big browser and so the need to scroll sideways as you read.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those of us who use Opera on our computers, Opera on other devices is a good choice too due to a feature called Opera Link that arrived a version or two ago. It syncs your bookmarks, browsing history, usernames and passwords, and a few other things between your platforms. You can choose what exactly should be synced when you start using it. Very handy to be able to browse a site at home, leave for the bus or train and just continue where you left off on your mobile for example.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All I want to know why they keep updating numbers so fast...and how my Mac downloads it without asking...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a Mac. It does lots of secret things that you don't know about, such as being constantly in communication with Apple reporting your activity, and relaying everything piece of media you play back to iTunes.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is it about Chrome that you don't like? I've been using it for quite a while now, and quite like it.

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    1. It doesn't install where I want it to.
    2. It downloads it's own updates and stores every single version on HD
    3. Adblock is much worse compared to the one in Firefox
    4. Few minor extensions are nonexistent/not working as I'm used to, etc.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, on a mobile device Chrome makes perfect sense because of its minimal interface and simple fast design. However on a full desktop system I want a bit more feedback about what is happening and more control over things, and for me FF gives me that much more compared to most others. I also still like Opera on a desktop system too, and have it as my second browser, because when developing anything online I like to work in FF when building something, but also have it loaded into Opera to load it into a separate environment for testing. I do however think Chrome might now be giving Opera a run for its money in terms of page rendering speed.

Has anyone tried the Chrome OS yet? I read all the release press and reviews and was put off by them. Seems to minimalist for my liking. Definitely has taken the browser as the OS concept idea directly which is interesting, and probably works well for internet only use, and could be good for internet cafes.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It's a Mac. It does lots of secret things that you don't know about, such as being constantly in communication with Apple reporting your activity, and relaying everything piece of media you play back to iTunes.
    Is this just in iTunes or also in google etc?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just iTunes AFAIK, but I'm sure the main OS probably has some other things built in too.

Google are also guilty of logged everything you do, that is true, and whilst I didn't like that on PCs, I do find it more useful on Android as everything can be linked into your central Google account, making it much easier to close link and access data. I also like in Android how a lot of Apps/software allow you to log in using your Facebook account or google account, rather than having to sign up loads of individual accounts. Removes the need to register, but also means you only have one central login. And if you need to change it you only need to change it in one place. Good for mobile devices if they get stolen or lost.