Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

newbie with some 600 questions

Good Morning all,

I hope that the questions I am about to ask haven't been covered elsewhere on this forum, if they have then please accept my apologies,

I have brought a 600 with 2.0 Roms and 37.299 kickstart, which i gather gives a bit of a problem with regards to CF and internal HDD.

Looking on Ebay, I have found 3.0 roms for a 1200, can I use these in my 600?

If the roms mentioned above are ok what would be my chances of success with an IBM Microdrive in a pcmcia adaptor? or should I just buy a CF card advertised on ebay, I hesitate to open the 600 because the warranty stickers is intact and i gather that this makes them a little more collectable,

Thanks very much in advance for your help

Matt

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    3.0 ROMS for A1200 are a pair of two, while for the A600 it's just one, so no, they aren't the same. Don't stick with 3.0 ROMS, go straight to 3.1 (they cost less than 20 euros) and you will be king.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can get the 3.1 ROM for your Amiga 600 from Vesalia. Here's the link. I've purchased quite a few items from Vesalia through the years and I've always been happy with everything. I also order from AmigaKit, but they didn't have any 3.1 ROM's for your 600 in stock.

Like Phantom suggested, you should go 3.1 right away. You won't regret it.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your replies, I have just bought some 2.05 wb disks for the 600 (and a 500 too), so i guess if I get the 3/3.1 roms i will need a later wb version?

Thanks

Matt

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatt1009 View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I have just bought some 2.05 wb disks for the 600 (and a 500 too), so i guess if I get the 3/3.1 roms i will need a later wb version?

Thanks

Matt
    Exactly. Workbench 3.1 preferably if your Amiga isn't expanded with a decent accelerator card.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are going to be putting 3.1 roms in your A600, plus a CF card HDD, then I highly recommend you take a look at Classic Workbench, http://classicwb.abime.net/ a predefined Workbench 3.1 that has everything already setup for you for everything you would normally need to do. The majority of Amiga users these days are using this in their Amigas.

Good luck with your A600 and I hope you have lots of fun with it.

For the Kickstart roms, also try Amigakit as they are UK based and might be a bit cheaper for shipping, although they have been out of stock of 3.1 roms for some time.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!