Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know about all the Raids, and my idea was to use Raid6 anyway, don't mind that much about speed. I don't want to lose too much space, otherwise I will end up again with limited space. I wanted to buy this NAS and intended to use Raid6, like I already wanted to do with my Qnap, but with the Qnap I would have the problem with little space if I used Raid6. The Raid1 was never an option for me, neither was Raid0+1, exactly for the limited space reason.

It was fine so far with the Qnap and Raid5, ran perfectly for 2 years without any problems, so hopefully this one will do the same in Raid6. But one thing is for sure, if one disk would fail in the 2413+, I would switch it off, until I would have a replacement disk, otherwise I would run the risk that another one would fail ending up with losing all my data. I already wanted to order a spare disk straight away, but they're 180€, and I'm already spending 3300€, but I might want to order it anyway. But I think I should, as ordering one later if it happens might take some time.

One thing is sure, and I read that in every NAS forum, they always say to still make backups, at least for the stuff that is most important, and that's what I do, I have all my photos f.ex. backuped up on an internal disk, don't care so much about movies or series, as I could download them again, although that would be a time consuming procedure, and of course it would be a real pain, as also all my series and movies are done with Yadis and YAMJ to have the nice interface on the Mediaplayer. That was time consuming!!

I also store my music on one internal disk still, as it's quite small compared to other stuff, but I cannot have 20TB of movies and 10TB of retro stuff, and still have a backup of that, then Raid6 must be secure enough. It's still attached to my UPS, that at least protects it from power failures, so the disks are already a lot safer.

To have the real thing, you would need 2 NAS and mirror them completely, but hey, that's a lot of ca$h.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What UPS are you using? I need to get one soon.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using the APC Back-UPS Pro 550 (model BR550GI) and I'm very happy with it. It's 330 Watts, and I plugged my NAS to it, and my modem. I'm also using it for my ethernet connection, so it goes first in the UPS, then to the modem.

The NAS recognizes straight away that a UPS is connected, and you get a little extra menu. Mine would run for approx. 25 minutes if there's a power failure. I set it up so that if there's still no power after 10 minutes, it will make a proper shutdown of the NAS, and then, if the power comes back, it will also restart the NAS again. I probably will buy another one to plug also my PC in, because that's on the other side of the room, 7m away from the NAS. And you can get this UPS for only 120€.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...se_sku=BR550GI

Btw, my Synology got already dispatched yesterday, I'm eager to get it. And I also know now that the bank transfer went well.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got it today, installed the RAM expansion, and I'm currently installing it, will take some time..............

Creating Raid 6 now, leaves you at 36.34TB total.

It's quite funny when you think, starting with 48TB, which are in reality only 43.68TB (4TB = 3.64TB), then after applying Raid 6, you're at 36.34TB.

- - - Updated - - -

Raid 6 was configured quite fast, but it asked me also to perform a disk check, it would then check for bad sectors and stuff and correct them, so I also ran that, and it's running since 20 hours now, and it's at 17%, so it will take 3 more days before I can use it.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 13th September 2013 at 18:44.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 30% now, come on, I wanna try some stuff

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    At 30% now, come on, I wanna try some stuff
    This is one of the drawbacks when dealing with raid arrays on cheap NAS boxes for the home. The worst thing you can do in a cheap NAS box is add drives at a later date. Fill it from new or spend up to 3/4 days adding a new drive.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any NAS/server will take a long time to build a large RAID 5/6 array for the first time that contains large volumes and a large number of disks. But once configured it should be fine, and hot swapping a failed drive in a RAID 6 setup actually shouldn't be noticed as it should rebuild the data across the set to the replacement drive in the background, and still be able to access the data during the process.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    63%

Like I said before, the Raid 6 was configured in less than 10 minutes, like it also was on my Qnap, the NAS would have been ready after 10 minutes if I didn't agree to make the very thorough disk check, which takes an eternity, but once done, it has been completely tested.

I can use the NAS, but I don't want to copy stuff to it yet whilst the disk check is running, I prefer to wait until it's finished. I'm not in a hurry, my Qnap still does the job, but you boys know how it is when you have a new toy.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So very true. You need to tinker with it.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copying stuff at the moment, will take very long. Disk check took around 96 hours.