Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The LAN bonding is called link aggregation, and yes, the 2413+ has that, although you need a switch with a IEEE 802.3ad standard, and as I looked around a bit, they're quite expensive. On the Synology site, they mention 3 of these switches which are compatible with the link aggregation function, the 3com 4200G, the HP Procurve Switch 2824 and the Voltek NSH-2926.

The rack mount NASs are also very expensive, that wouldn't be the best solution.

I planned on selling my QNAP, as I wouldn't keep it as backup, because I wanna run the 2413+ in Raid6 mode, so that we be already quite secure.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna probably buy it next week, I'm very close, 90% of me are fine with it

How much would you think I could sell my Qnap 659 Pro II with 6x2TB disks? I only find prices of the newer model, the 669 Pro, but it seems to be almost the same, and it is 900€, although the disks I have are not available anymore, but on my bill I can see that they were just 62€ anyway 2 years ago. My NAS was 1100€ with the delivery.

I could get the 2413+ here in Luxembourg for the same price like in the German online shop where I always order, but the disks are 7€/disk more expensive. I want to order 13 disks, to have one spare one from the start. I mailed the shop in Luxembourg if it would be possible to get a little discount on the disks, hopefully they will agree. On the other side, I wouldn't have to pay for delivery, as I could pick it up from there. Probably they also have everything on stock, so I could get it straight away, although they told me that it would be ready in 2-3 working days.

The other problem buying it online is, that I would have to send the money via bank transfer, as it will be almost 3000€, and my VISA limit is quite lower, and with the bank transfer, you never really have 100% guarantee, because if the money gets lost somehow, you're not really able to track it, and see if the seller didn't receive it or not, so I prefer to not use that method.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would definitely go with the more local store where you can collect in person. I never do money bank transfers for the reason you said.. you have no guarantee for your money and no way to dispute or reclaim the money if anything went wrong. Plus with the local store you can take drives back if they fail (as most carry a 2-3 year warranty against failure).

That is definitely some serious money to spend on a NAS, but it's also some serious storage too. If you get it I would love to find out how you get on with it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got a mail from the guy from the shop, and he only wrote to me, then continue to order at Cyberport. WTF!!

I wrote him back now that this was only a question, I didn't mean to offend him.

- - - Updated - - -

I probably found another solution, as the guy doesn't seem to reply anymore, he even replied me twice on Sunday!!

The NAS with 12 WD Red 3TB would be there, or any other shop around 2800€.

I also order sometimes at Easytecs, found them to be reliable (so far), and they sell it for 2650€, but they are using Hitachi Deskstar disks. They also sell it with 12 Hitachi 5K4000 (4TB) for 3200€, so basically for 400€ more than the other shop, but I would get 12TB more!

I read some reviews about these disks now, and they seem to be quite reliable, low power consumption because of the 5400rpm, but still performant enough, and approved for 24/7 activity.
    I must say that I use the Hitachi 5K3000 (2TB) in my Qnap since 2 years now, and so far I didn't have problems at all. Aren't they manufactured now by WD anyways?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I think they might be. Most drives now are all owned by with WD or Seagate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered it today with 48TB, and I also ordered the 2GB RAM expansion for it, was only 45€. Had to do the payment via bank transfer though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    48TB. Very nice. :-)

I'm a little jealous of that storage. Should keep you going for some time! Well, until 4K becomes mainstream, then I'm sure you will fill it fast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    that's true, let's just hope it never comes

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, what is your opinion on using Raid? I read some stuff about it now, and some say it's not the best option, as writing to disks in a Raid could produce errors, and a rebuilt would then only succeed in 50% of the case, especially when using big disks. It would be better to use the single disks. But then again, I have no security if a disk fails? This got me puzzled now, I had so far good experience with my NAS in Raid5 mode, and this one, I would even put into Raid6.

I know that without Raid you would have more space, and the transfer rates would be higher, but what about security?

EDIT: I read now that Raid5 with hot spare is a good choice, as it is exactly the same than Raid6, but it's faster.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so apparently Raid5 with hot spare only makes sense if you use more than 1 Raid. Got that told at the Synology forums.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fastest version of a Raid is Raid 1, where the data is stored identically across 2 identical volumes. This could be 2 disks, 4 disks etc.. this is actually faster than using all the disks as JBOD is because when reading from the disks the system can read from both at once and in different locations, so it greatly reduces seek times. With Raid 1 you have the mirrored copy, but you don't have any Parity, so you can't rebuild data if a drive fails.

I don't know what version of RAID to suggest. The only real advantage of RAID 6 is the addition of 2 Parity blocks, so it can cope with the lose of 2 drives at once and still rebuild the set, whereas RAID 5 can only cope with 1 disk failure at a time.

I have also read that larger disks are more prone to failure in a NAS compared to smaller ones. You could also look at a RAID 0+1 setup, but you lose a lot of disk space doing this.