Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Repurpose a PC laptop into a Portable Amiga?

You don't really NEED to read any of this
    ---------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying I am not a fan of "Commodore" USA. Rather the current iteration of it anyways. It is funny how many people, mostly those that never actually used a real original Amiga seem to be getting all giddy over the recent news of Commodore USA releasing "new" Amiga's, C64's and Vic's. My comments have mostly been along the lines of "These are nothing more than overly priced (for the PC hardware your getting) Keyboard PC's slapped into stylized cases with a Commodore badge added." These so called new Commodore machines rely on Emulation for the Amiga / C64 side. Unless I have missed something that is exactly what it is. THAT SAID being a Canadian who actually has no original AMIGA hardware currently the prospect of obtaining original hardware whether on Ebay or an online retailer is expensive, even when I find a deal that is tolerable once shipping to Canada is added on top as well as possible duty fees and taxes well, let's just say I am not in the financial state to consider it. LET ME BE CLEAR, I am a long time AMIGA fan that truly regrets all the Amiga A500 / A1200 equipment I sold back in the day but hard times called for desperate measures. I, as I assume most of you much prefer using original hardware but still, a fake Amiga is better than no Amiga in my opinion. I refuse to buy any of Commodore USA's offerings but I did have a thought that at some point I will be replacing my current laptop with an updated laptop as it is something I need. I figured I might as well use the old laptop for something and I was thinking it would be cool to dedicate it for AMIGA use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE DO READ THIS.
    This is what I really need to know

I am no genius for sure, I have used the AMIGA FOREVER package a lot and yes I was into AMIGA EMULATION long before that I just bought AMIGA FOREVER to support CLOANTO and legitimatize use the Kickstart ROMS etc. What I would like to accomplish if possible is make the emulation as transparent as possible. It's a TOSHIBA SATELLITTE 200D. Here are the specs:

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    DirectX DirectX 11.0
    CPU Type: Mobile DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200)
    Motherboard Name: Toshiba Satellite P200D
    Motherboard Chipset: AMD M690V, AMD Hammer
    BIOS Type: Phoenix (02/25/08)
    Video Adapter: ATI Radeon X1200 (128 MB)
    Hard Drive: 160 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA
    Optical Drive: PIONEER DVD-RW
    SD card reader
    Of course I would replace the OS if needed to whatever would be best for my project.

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE to have it so that upon powering up the laptop that some type of AMIGA EMULATOR is launched automaticly and load AMIGA WORKBENCH? Essentially, I would like it to mimic turning on an AMIGA A1200 with built in Hard Disk. Of course I would like IF POSSIBLE all the laptops built in hardware functioning and accessible (USB PORTS / DVD DRIVE / SD CARD SLOT / WIRELESS ADAPTER / Functioning sound etc) I know I am asking a lot here lol but I figure I wont know unless I ask. If I can only launch the AMIGA emulation manually exactly which OS would yield the best results and what AMIGA Emulator should I use? Has anyone else here done this? Dedicated a laptop or Desktop completely to Amiga emulation? Please let me know your suggestions, advice, etc THANKS to all in advance.
    AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone made a guide to help doing this over at Amiga.org:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49465

It involves getting WinUAE to boot directly from XP startup. Might find it useful.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    I had a look into this and i am tempted i do have a spare pc 2.4ghz ,512mb ram ,15gig HDD. Next year i will dig it out and see if it still works
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also have a look at AROS as that spare PC would be ideal for that.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!