Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

R.I.P. HP Pavilion dv1000

Almost time to say goodbye to an old friend...my first laptop. Seven years is a long time! I may be able to salvage it, but I'm not getting my hopes up! Overheating, HD is saying it's getting read errors and it randomly shuts down when it feels like it. I've cleaned the fan, I'm going to check if I can clean the bearing of the fan, but I doubt it.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Replacing a fan shouldn't be too hard. If it is overheating, dismantle it and clean everything inside, and remove the CPU heatsink and apply fresh thermal paste and then reseat it. Should fix it. Also if the HDD is playing up you can get cheap 2.5" laptop HDDs these days. A 320GB one for my wife's laptop was only about £35 last year.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It may be saved, but if not goodbye and R.I.P. What are you considering as a replacement? Is it your main PC?

I still have my First laptop - Compaq Armada M700. It's a PIII-M 700Mhz with 384MB RAM and still works like a champ! Must be the most reliable laptop ever. I removed the main battery about a year ago and replaced it with an empty shell as it wasn't worth replacing. I use it as an upload/download torrent machine these days running XP and not much else. It can surf the web quite well - with Firefox and Flashblock installed.

Had a couple of other laptops, but the motherboards developed heating stress errors (cracked solder) and used to freeze when heating up. So then settled on a Netbook.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok update: First, I installed a program that was watching the temperature of the CPU and yes, it was overheating. I blew out all the dust, but was still doing it. I then pulled apart the laptop, and when I got to the fan, I pulled out enough fluff and cr@p that it was almost half a mouse! That's what happens in a 7 year old laptop!

I put it back together and now it's working fine! Laptop saved.

Now the next issue is this: When I shut the laptop down, it seems to have trouble. It will shut down, then it will turn itself back on?! I have to press and hold the power button to turn it off again, but even then some times it tries to turn back on? I have to take out the battery to kill it. Any ideas? I've updated the BIOS, as that may have been an issue. Will test now.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought this was all resolved, but it shut down on me again The CPU temperature is fluccatuating between 50 and 60 degrees C. Is this a normal operating range?

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, culprit is the harddrive. It is failing Need to get a new one.

HP Pavilion dv1000
    Windows XP SP3
    2 GB of RAM

service tag: dv1303ap
    serial number: CNF5480LDT
    product number: PY869PA#ABG

hardrive:
    60 GB
    IC25N060ATMR04-0 (from device manager)
    2.5" IDE

How big can I get as a replacement drive?

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have found someone who has an 80 GB IDE drive! How can I go about cloning the drive so that I can just swap the drive?

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can try Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Free and can be used from a boot CD or bootbale USB stick (check out BartPE): http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

Or just go with the Ultimate Boot CD - it should have cloning software on it but I've never used it: http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

You'll need to store the image on an external USB hard drive though, or burn the image to DVD's. To be safe, I'd back up all your personal data files separate to the image too just in case something goes wrong writing the image back.

As for the largest hard drive you can use, I'd imagine you'll be fine with the largest laptop IDE drives you can find (320GB?).
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    320B is about as large as you will find for a laptop 2.5" IDE drive. You can get larger but they go up in price. Samsung make some nice drives at good prices.

There are loads of programs that let you clone an HDD. The commercial program Acronis True Image is the best, but if you want a free one try http://www.macrium.com/ they offer a commercial and free version, plus a 30 day trial of the commercial one which might be all you need.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I was able to score a FREE 80 GB from an IT guy at work! My laptop now is in the hands of a guy at my dad's work who is gonna do the mirror for me!