Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does weather affect wifi signal?

I had a wired connection to my router until recently, and I would always get around 750kb/s.

I've recently switched to wifi as I've had to move the router to somewhere else in my house. I've noticed that the signal really deteriorates when we have low pressure weather, i.e. it's overcast, cloudy or rainy.

Yesterday we had rain all day and my signal dropped to the 5.5MBps band so I was only getting speeds of around 20-100kb/s. This morning, it's beautifully sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and I'm on 36Mbps with a download speed of 850kb/s!

I don't think it's contention at the exchange or network shaping since I get 750kb/s constantly, no matter the time or day, on a wired connection.

Although, saying that, my speeds over the last few hours has been a constant 850kb/s and I didn't even get that when wired, and my exchange is currently going through (or is imminently scheduled for) the 21CN upgrade. Maybe that has conincided with me moving my router, although I moved the router 1 month ago and I don't think the upgrade would have taken that long?

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi mate,

i was under the impression that any type of meteorological activity will affect wifi internet connection, i guess just like mobile reception? however if we are talking about wifi connection (cable from wall outlet to modem\router and then wireless wifi from modem\router to laptop\pc) inside the house, room to room, then i was made to believe weather does not play any role.

i could be wrong

best regards,
    Marcin

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't have thought it would effect it inside of a building either. Outside is a different matter.

BTW, I would love 850KB/s. Best I have ever achieved here is 300KB/s and that is very rare. We do have one of the slowest exchanges in the country though according to a recent news report on the evening news.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    300Kb/s ? the slowest..?!?! i am in a 3rd world country :-)
    and i have 1000kb/s as slowest... it's the slowest my ISP have, and with that service i can go to 1300kb/s...
    Is that a reason for that? Maybe the area... are you far away fro a major city?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you talking KB or Kb? They are very different. My connection is about 2700Kb/s on average which I can get about 300KB/s download speed out of.
    Last edited by Harrison; 19th July 2011 at 12:18.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    talking about Kbytes per second.
    I have the lowest possible, they now have ranges from 30 Mbits/s to 1Gbits/s

I found that Portugal has the 16th fastest internet in the world...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...e=16__Portugal

some thing we are shixx other things we are good.... i better cry a bit ...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The UK could only dream of 100Mb/s let along 1Gb/s!

The fastest broadband you can get in the UK for consumers is about 70Mb/s but that is only if you live in the largest inner cities and have digital cable TV.

For everyone else the maximum we can get is 24Mb/s ADSL and that speed is only if the phone exchange has been upgraded. For those of use where it hasn't the maximum is 8Mb/s ADSL, but those speeds are only if you live right by the exchange.

I live in the countryside miles from the nearest exchange and our exchange hasn't been upgraded so we are still running on the old 8Mb/s connection, with mine hitting 3Mb/s at best.

This is miles better than it used to me. When I first got broadband the best speed was 1Mb/s and I could achieve about 70-100KB/s maximum.

The UK is quickly being left behind by the rest of the world for internet speeds. In some places they actually still can't get broadband at all and are stuck with 56K dialup and I just couldn't live with that. If I ever move the broadband options will be a huge factor in choosing the new property, especially as the broadcasting companies like Sky are now offering films on demand, but only if you have a 20Mb/s line or faster, which is obviously out of my reach.

Only other option I could consider is Broadband Satellite, but then there is the latency issue with the upload speeds.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes,
    the speed here in PT are great in major cities, far away from them, they are not so good, but still very impressive.

But the fastest connecting you get there is with ADSL?
    don't you have satelite? here Satelite goes to 21mbits/s
    And portable internet (pen) you go also at 21mbit/s
    by cable maximum is 24mbits/s

and fiber maximum is 1gbits/s (both download and upload !!!!!) impressive...
    http://www.zon.pt/Internet/TarifariosFibra/Detalhe.aspx
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are lucky harrison. Downloads here never seem to go beyond 230 kilobytes per second, and the modem only syncronises at 2mbps (on MaxDSL).

Out exchange has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ though so PlusNet ought to change us to that if we ask. I'll do a bit of testing of my telephone line though as the ADSL has been a bit unreliable recently .

Ironically, the internet failed whilst I was typing this message so had to leave posting it till later.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our exchange is ADSL2+ but still only supports a max 8Mbits. Go figure that one out!

You also need an ADSL+ compatible router otherwise you won't get anything faster even if it is upgraded.