Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

PC in an Amiga Project - I'm ready to have a hack!

I love my original A1200, but I would love one of these just as much:

http://images.arianchen.de/?x=a500pc
    http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57636

A500 and A1200 with PC innards. Some would cry sacrilege, but there are a load of spare Amiga cases with dead motherboards so why not put them to good use?

It's possible to boot directly into WinUAE, or use it as am emulation machine.

Or just grab the newest version of the Zero footprint PC, which has been posted about many times: http://www.cybernetman.com/en/all-in...oard-pc/ZPC-D5

It's actually pretty nice looking and of course oldschool at the same time. Just don't spill your lunch on it!
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also been thinking of doing this for years, ever since I first starting reading about mini-itx motherboard projects.

And with the Keyrar available it makes interfacing the original Amiga keyboard, and also providing working Amiga joystick ports, really easy. Would definitely make a great emulation PC. I actually have a spare A1200 and A600 cases, and a spare A600 keyboard, so that is some way towards it.

The biggest question though is which motherboard to use as there are now so many available. I think it would need a bit of power, so a desktop CPU like a Core2Duo or if possible an i3, would be much preferred to an Atom or similar network CPU.

I would take it further than the A1200 project you linked to though. I would add a slot loading DVD-RW and look into the possibility of utilising the floppy drive location for a floppy drive, connected to either a CatWeasel or a KryoFlux. There are some mini-ITX board with a single PCI slow, and 90 degree PCI adapters so a CatWeasel could be mounted next to the motherboard in the case to make it fit.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    ... in one way ,it's cool, in the other hand... it's like a knife on the back... PC inside the Miggy????
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except if you have a spare case and keyboard, but no Amiga motherboard, then I think it is perfectly acceptable. But, people who actually rip out the guts of a working Amiga to do this need to just be shot!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    In that case...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking about it.... i do have a spare case and keyboard...
    you could use a micro-atx or a laptop m.board....
    with a laptop board, you can use it's own power supply, but what about micro-atx, will you put a small one inside, or use an external PSU ?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Obviously the best solution would be to mount the PSU inside the case. You can get Pico PSUs that would easily fit and can be used with Mini-ITX boards that often only need 12V power.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Obviously the best solution would be to mount the PSU inside the case. You can get Pico PSUs that would easily fit and can be used with Mini-ITX boards that often only need 12V power.
    This ones ?
    http://www.logicsupply.eu/power-supp...FZQNfAodDAyt0Q

you put that thing in mother micro-atx mboard and then connect to a laptop PSU ?
    If this is what you are talking abuot, .... 27 euros for this adapter plus 19 for the PSU ... total +/- 46 euos ... just for power.....
    then there is the mboard.... omg the project will be expensive....
    the best choice maybe is getting a laptop mboard with it's own psu ....
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are loads of different combinations of motherboard and PSU for such projects. None are going to be really cheap though. You could probably build a more powerful full PC setup for less, but then you are buying components to fit into a restricted space, that require less heat dissipation and run a lot quieter.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    i looked for micro-atx, but i think a laptop motherboard should be the best. And i have a friend that will give me one for free... That's great.
    So:
    - I have the A1200 case and keys
    - i will have the laptop motherboard with PSU
    - I have 1 IDE to compact-flash adapter to use as HD
    - i will have to get the keyboard adapter from amigakit or vesalia
    - i will have to get some usb extentions and ports, to adapt them to the 1200 case.

Now a question:
    Any IDE to compact-flash adapter will work as HD? there are type I and II but will they both work?
    what about installing the OS, will it recognize the compact-flash as an HD?
    A500 - A600 - A1200