Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

X-Arcade USB upgrade kit

I've had a dual stick X-Arcade controller for some years now and it is the original first version that requires connecting to the old style PS2 keyboard port, plus a PS2 keyboard connected to the controller itself. Not the best solution.

The newer version added USB connectivity and allowed the controller to be connected either the same way as the original, via PS2 port and keyboard, or directly via USB without the need for a keyboard, so just like any other USB joystick.

XGaming/X-Arcade released an adapter cable a while back for the first version to allow USB connecting, but it still required a PS2 keyboard to be connected to the controller as well, so still not much better.

Now the company has released a proper USB upgrade kit for existing owners of the original X-Arcade Dual Stick controller. This upgrade kit includes a replacement PCB and the new cables required. I ordered one of these kits a couple of days ago and it arrived today. The online instructions say it only takes 10 minutes to upgrade but it took more like 20 minutes for me to do because of the fiddly access to the insides to do the upgrade.

I can report that the upgrade works perfectly and has therefore upgraded my first edition X-Arcade controller to a current spec one. To use it I can now just plug the controller directly into any USB port and it is instantly recognised and installed. I just ran the online X-Arcade test utility and all keys are functioning perfectly.

I will be posting a proper article on the upgrade process soon with some pictured showing the process and the parts. It isn't all that difficult. Everything plugs into the PCB via molex style connectors so it is a case of just unplugging from the old board and back into the new in the same locations. The only difference is that with the original it has fixed ports on the back of the controller for PS2 and Serial. Now these 2 ports are on a cable sticking out of the back (which I think is how the new retail controllers are now) and you get a rubber seal to fit around the original port hole to hang the cables out through. Not an issue but it doesn't quite look as neat as the original design did.

Time for some MAME testing!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I've had a dual stick X-Arcade controller for some years now and it is the original first version that requires connecting to the old style PS2 keyboard port, plus a PS2 keyboard connected to the controller itself. Not the best solution.
    Why, it just works perfectly.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always found it a bit of a cumbersome setup and it was also not plug and play. You always had to have the X-Arcade and keyboard plugged in before booting the PC. Now with the USB setup it is possible to just plug the X-Arcade directly into any USB port on any PC when I want to use it and it gets instantly recognised and is ready to use.

Obviously the original design also didn't work with USB keyboards and I mainly use them now.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've noticed there is a lot of interesting in the X-Arcade controllers again now that more people are using RetroPie and it's directly supported. Especially with people selling ready made setups. I still have my original one I upgraded and still fully working. Not many controllers you can say have lasted this long and still been as useful and sort after.

Mine doesn't have the later rollerball, which could be useful, but I normally have a mouse and keyboard plugged in too so not a massive issue.

There are also lots of other makes very similar appearing recently, but some.are quite expensive. Glad I already have this one.

I am however tempted to get the 8bitdo arcade stick as that looks great for when you don't want to setup the whole thing and just want some quick single player gaming.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have the very old one, no USB.

I prefer to play with a controller anyways, using 2 SN30 Pro controllers with the RPi4 gives a nice retro touch. Would perhaps be nice with the X-Arcade but not really playing in 2-player mode, plus it's gigantic.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is big, which is why I'm considering the 8bitdo stick for single player. With the X-Arcade I have a coffee table it fits in nicely.