C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 update error!!!

Goddammit, I didn't do the update for the service pack 1 yet on windows 7, today it asked me to do it, and I agreed and let it do the whole operation.

Now when the PC starts, it does the update, which are 105.070 files, but it gets stuck all the time and I have to reboot again, only to find out that there's another error. This is what it says:

Error C0190003 applying update operation 8235 of 105070 (amd64_m...)

So I rebooted again, because it gets stuck, and came up with another error:

Fatal error C0190003 applying update operation 8562 of 105070 (x64_m...)

And after reboot yet another one:

Error C0190003 applying update operation 8643 of 105070 (x86_mic...)

So every time it seems to skip one error and go a bit further, ending up finding another one.

Don't know what to do now, have to leave, and didn't have time yet to google for the problem. I don't want to reboot like 100 times so that it eventually skips all the errors and finishes the 105070 updates.

Any ideas?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry I've no idea. I've updated a few different systems to SP1 without any problems. Win 7 does save a restore point to get you back to pre SP1 if anything goes wrong so that might be an option.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did the Win7 SP1 upgrade yesterday on my laptop.

While was installing the SP1 suddenly a blue screen appeared saying about a problem that you encounter for the first time and your system must reboot.

After rebooting, I got a message that SP1 was successfully installed!!!

Brilliant! Only Microsooft knows. Thumbs up from them for the n-th time. (you bloody piece of s**t, you destroyed the world...)
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Problem is that Windows doesn't find any restore point?? I will perhaps try with True Image, did a backup about 3 months ago, perhaps that will work.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Ok, stupid True Image says that my backup is not an original True Image backup, also it's one, extension is .tib, or it's corrupted. My guess is that the True Image version I have installed on my other PC is older than the one I actually took the image with. Hell Yeah!!!

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

After making a bootable media now with the Trrue Image version I had (Home 2011), I had to validate the backup, and now at the moment it's recovering the partition. Hopefully it works, backup was from the 12th of April, so not that old, and there was not a lot of software installed after that, I only guess that I have to update some software again. Perhaps also Comodo Internet Security was not yet installed, so might have to do a fresh install. Will see. Anyway, if it works fine, it will always be better than doing a fresh windows install.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Worked out fine now with the recovery of True Image. Only had to update Windows files again (no SP1), and some software, Comodo was already installed. Gonna make a new backup now again, so when this happens again, I won't have to do all the minor updates again.

Gonna look into what the problem was, and how I can get around to avoid the errors when installing SP1. Found some advice what you should do first before installing SP1, but I still don't understand why I have to do it, when it seems to work flawlessly for other people?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know either. As I said I've never had any issues. Will be interesting to find out what the problem was.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm gonna give it a second try now, I updated all my software and did a new backup, so that I don't have to redo everything again in case it crashes.

Apparently, what I read could be one problem, is when you have additional languages installed. I checked and saw that I had german language as additional installed, so I removed it, leaving me with english only. Btw, easiest way to check that, is to enter "lpksetup" in the run command line, and it opens a window which gives you the option to install/uninstall additional languages.

One thing I wanted to tell you still is also a bit strange. I have 6 SATA II ports on my PC, where 5 HDD are connected to. Then I have also 2 SATA III ports. As these don't support CD-ROM drives, and I have 2 (DVD-ROM and BD-ROM), I added an SATA II card with 2 ports, where my disk drives are connected now. When I had to boot from DVD, the system didn't recognize the drives, I had to unplug one from the card, and plug it in the SATA II on the motherboard to be recognized. Although when the PC boots up, it recognizes straight away both drives, so why didn't it recognize them when I had to boot from it, it was set correctly in the BIOS.

So wish me luck. I will report as soon as I'm back into windows

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

It worked!!!

But I also did something else, I didn't let it install via the windows update, but instead I downloaded the standalone package and installed it from the desktop. That way, it didn't update when rebooting the PC, but it did basically everything in windows, and only when it was finished, it rebooted.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've often downloaded service packs and then run them, rather than run them "live" though update. I normally do this if I have more than one system i need to update as it removes the need to download it again on each machine. However, for some reason I didn't do this with Win 7 SP1. Not sure why, but for me it worked OK.

Regarding the SATA card, it differs between the different cards. I've not used many addon SATA cards, however with ATA and SCSI cards it was always the cards own BIOS that was an issue with boot recognition and drives being recognised. Some BIOSs support specific conditions and others don't. So it might be worth checking the card's maker to see if they have any card firmware/BIOS updates that might help.