Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nintendo Wii U

What do you all think of the Nintendo Wii U? The successor to the Wii.

Has anyone ever seen a controller that big before?

I like the concept of merging the existing mobile gaming market with a home console. It was tried a couple of generations ago with the Sega Dreamcast and its VMU, with it having the little info screen in the controller that was also a small standalone mobile console of its own. However I'm not sure something quite as huge as this Wii U controller is actually going to be good, and not end up getting in the way.

I also liked the ideas shown within the software running with it at E3, with it tracking movement, and you able to hold it up to the main TV for direct interaction between the 2 screens. But I'm still not sure about it.

The biggest bonus for this new system is that it will be backwardly compatible with existing Wii software, although not Gamecube, and it can use all existing Wii devices like Wiimote and balance board and will finally have high definition output, although if the games will have more grunt for real HD gaming graphics we have yet to see. for storage it will rely on SD cards and USB HDDs much like the Wii and now 3DS do, for a bit of cost cutting.

It is still continues its relationship with the same hardware manufacturers, with a custom IBM PowerPC CPU, although full details are not released yet on spec, and AMD Radeon graphics, so staying close to the Wii and even Gamecube hardware roots. It will also be using proprietary high-density optical discs the same size as CDs but with Blu-Ray like 25GB capacity. That could help stop the fairly easy piracy that was seen on the Wii.

What do you think?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a hands on report about it from E3, showing the system, its specs and how it works, and some of the tech demo games being shown for it.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...-review-966305

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really sure what I should think about this at the moment? Excitement at least to get this equals 0.