Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Outstanding 'Nature' blu-rays

I'm getting a Blu-ray player soon to play on my megatastic 50" Full HD Plasma tv. I love the sampler videos they have on display when you see the big TVs in the shop windows, of waterfalls and forests and the like.

What blu-rays do you suggest I get which feature some great nature scenes? Not bothered by animals, it's the landscape/natural world ones I like. Doesn't even have to be a documentary, could just be long unnarrated scenes.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont now way, but i like the idea, i always wanted a similar thing.
    They have those demo stuff in tv shops whre they shop some great HD nature scenery and other high definition images.
    I wounder if you can get any of that stuff from internet.
    I guess the brands like panasonic, sony, Lg etc... just give those bluerays to the shops to promote the TVs, I think you can find them in internet, or are you interested in buying one?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

I'd want to buy it cheaply, as I haven't got my TV hooked up to the internet yet and I can't burn blu-rays.

My new TV is amazing: 50" Full HD 1080p plasma, 5,000,000:1 contrast ratio (Infinite Black), in-built freesat HD, 2x usb (you can plug in a hard disk and record directly to it), SD card slot which plays music, pictures and divx, 4x hdmi, 2x scart, component, ethernet, VGA-in (1920x1080), 600Hz, 24p movie playback, THX certified.

I've only watched a couple of things in HD on BBC HD, and the quality is amazing. I saw a programme about a man visiting bears in the Minnesota woods, and you could see the individual hairs on their fur even when it wasn't in close-up.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best are the BBC documentary Blu-Rays. Blue Planet, Life, Planet Earth and Human Planet are all great boxsets to buy.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you just want nature without talking/continuous closeups of animals try to get the "Sunrise Earth" series. They are really great and have no voice-over/people and just kind of sit on one setting for a while and then move on. All in one geographic area. Should be good to show-case the TV. Have fun!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Life
    Baraka
    Human Planet
    Oceans

All these have great picture quality, and are definitely demo material for if you want to show off your equipment.

I found Planet Earth to be somewhat inconsistent, video-wise.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    The best are the BBC documentary Blu-Rays. Blue Planet, Life, Planet Earth and Human Planet are all great boxsets to buy.
    Agreed.

The BBC ones sound perfect but every site I go to says the video quality isn't what it should be. Sunrise Earth looks nice.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's due to the fact that some shows weren't shot in HD natively, or aren't in full HD. I have some BBC shows that are in 1080i, and some even default to 720p.

Definitely give the titles I mentioned in my previous post a try. Especially Oceans and Baraka, though the latter isn't nature per say.

"Wonders of the Universe" part 1 was on BBC HD last night, so I thought I would watch that as a taster. I am now officially bored of the words "profound" and "dynamic". Why does everyone say Brian Cox is so great? Because he smiles all the time? All the impressive space sequences were reused at least 4 times each, and they weren't that impressive anyway.