Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Canadian Grand Prix 2011 - maybe Jenson Button's best race to date?

Who else watched the Canadian Grand Prix?

The rain filled race initially looked like it was going to be huge disappointment, with the race having to be red flagged less than half distance due to too much rain falling and flooding the track. Just before this Lewis Hamilton was driving like the usual idiot and nearly took out his team mate, Button, but in the end only managed to end his own race by hitting a wall.

But after the rain let up and the race restarted it came alive and for me ended up being one of the great Grand Prix's to remember for years to come, and a race Jenson Button will be remembered for. At one point, after a collision with Alonso, which ended the Ferrari driver's race, Jenson had a puncture and was limping back to the pits. On returning to the track under safety car conditions he found himself 21st and at the back of the field, with no seeming hope of even getting some points. He was racing to even catch the pack before the safety car came in and the race resumed. However, from that moment he came alive and was quickly fighting his way up through the field.

Equally Michael Schumacher was also having the best race since his comeback and was looking good for a podium finish. But Button was flying and before long was right behind Webber and Schumacher fighting for a podium position. A mistake by Webber and he was past him, and then quickly past Schumacher. He was then quickly closing on the race leader, and on the last lap the leader made a mistake and Button took the Chequered flag.

Brilliant race and the most deserving of his carrier to date.

This now sees Button move up the tables to second in the championship, just 60 points behind the leader.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the best race ever!
    [COLOR="red"]A1200D/NOS[/COLOR], KS 3.1, Bliz1230MkIV/64MB/FPU, 8GB CF, CWB FULL, WHDLoad Games, PCMCIA/4GB CF SanDisk

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    just 60 points behind the leader.
    well...

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    i watched the 24H le mans, and i forgot to watch the F1 in Canada, but from what i read, it was a great race!
    A500 - A600 - A1200

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I watched it and it was superb. I don't think that Jenson has a chance really to win the championship as the Red Bulls are just too strong under normal conditions. However it was great to see the whiney Spanish lady-boy beached on a curb (lost all respect for him after his season at McLaren when he couldn't stand playing second fiddle to a better driver).
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    i watched the 24H le mans...
    Allan McNish's crash at Le Mans was pretty horrific and it was amazing he walked away from that... just shows how far safety has come in motor racing thanks to the campaigning by F1 drivers for so many years to improve it.

If any of you haven't see the crash here it is:

Audi also had another nighttime crash, so although they won Le Mens they also had some very bad crashes to deal with. It was great to see Peugeot doing well too, and a shame they couldn't win it again in their 908 as I love that car.

Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    I watched it and it was superb. I don't think that Jenson has a chance really to win the championship as the Red Bulls are just too strong under normal conditions. However it was great to see the whiney Spanish lady-boy beached on a curb (lost all respect for him after his season at McLaren when he couldn't stand playing second fiddle to a better driver).
    So true about Alonso, he has to be the most important person, not just in a team, but for everything. He needs his ego popped from time to time.

Regarding winning the championship, I don't think it is quite as black and white as that and it is definitely not over yet. 60 points is only 2 wins and a 5th place finish buffer, and we all know how quickly such points leads can be eroded away. Look at 2007, who would have guessed Kimi would have won that championship?

As for Red Bull. They have been really strong to date this year, but from Silverstone the FIA have banned the hot-blown deffuser system, and their car has the most advanced version of this, which is why their car has been so strong. They are basically using it as increase downforce and cornering speed. This is being viewed as a moveable device for aerodynamics and so has now been banned. It is believed this system is the reason for their 0.5 - 1 second advantage over the rest of the teams in previous races, so it will be very interesting to see how banning this system affects their car and their performance.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So true about Alonso, he has to be the most important person, not just in a team, but for everything. He needs his ego popped from time to time
    Oh yes, and i am a big Ferrari Fan, but i hate Alonso. So strange... every race i wish that one pilot wins, and the other gets off road....
    A500 - A600 - A1200