Thread: Nintendo hacked

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nintendo hacked

The hacking group LulzSec, who took responsibility for the recent hacking of Sony's network, have now targeted Nintendo. They also managed to hack into an FBI affiliate site and Sonypictures.com recently.

In this latest attack Nintendo claims no consumer or corporate data was stolen, but you have to wonder.

LulzSec also claims that they managed to obtain 54MB of data from the SonyPictures.com attack, containing users' personal data, including passwords, email addresses and home addresses. And they have been quoted as saying “We do have 54MB of Sony data to drop. Maybe a torrent - we'll see what we can do with that. No estimated time yet,” on Twitter.

In regard to the FBI hacking, it looks a little more serious, as this quoted report states:

FBI Friday
    Whilst the Nintendo breach appears not to be overly serious at the current time – certainly not on the scale of the Sony breaches – LulzSec’s efforts on an FBI affiliate could have notable connotations.
    On Friday, the group hacked into Infragard, a collaboration service designed to help connect the private sector and individuals with the FBI.
    Having infiltrated the Atlanta chapter of the Infragard website, LulzSec published 180 usernames, hashed passwords, plain text passwords, real names and email addresses.
    LulzSec went after one Infragard user in particular – Karim Hijazi, chief executive of private botnet monitoring service Unveillance.
    The hacking collective claimed in a statement Hijazi offered to pay LulzSec “to eliminate his competitors through illegal hacking means” in return for its silence.
    “Karim, a member of an FBI-related website, was willing to give us money and inside info in order to destroy his opponents in the whitehat world. We even discussed plans for him to give us insider botnet information,” LulzSec said.
    In his own statement, Hijazi said he had been threatened by LulzSec and asked to provide money and botnet information to the collective.
    “I was personally contacted by several members of this group who made threats against me and my company to try to obtain money, as well as to force me into revealing sensitive data about my botnet intelligence that would have put many other businesses, Government agencies and individuals at risk of massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks,” Hijazi said.
    “In spite of these threats, I refused to pay off LulzSec or to supply them with access to this sensitive botnet information. Had we agreed to provide this data to them, LulzSec would have been able to grow the size and scope of their DDoS attack and fraud capabilities.”
    Hijazi said he refused to bow to LulSec’s demands and hoped the incident would “enlighten others as to the true character and intent of this organisation.”
    “I refused to comply with their demands. Because of this, they followed through in their threats – and attacked me, my business and my personal reputation.”
    In response, LulzSec released a new statement, claiming it never planned to extort Unveillance.
    “We were simply going to pressure you into a position where you could be willing to give us money for our silence, and then expose you publicly,” the group said.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "We were simply going to pressure you into a position where you could be willing to give us money for our silence, and then expose you publicly,” the group said.

How is that not blackmail?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed it is. In legal terms they must surely see it as entrapment. Forcing the company into a course of action to try and protect their reputation and customer information.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hm.. it's the hackers period this year I pressume.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely looks like they are stepping up their game and targeting the big boys. I'm surprised they are not aiming much at M$ at the moment as they used to be a big target for hackers, although with so much focus on them in the past I expect they now have much better security than many others like Sony, who haven't really had to deal with attacks of this magnitude before now.

With companies like Sony you do get a lot of black and white opinions over them as a whole, with people either being big fans of the company, or complete haters... you don't tend to see many middle of the road indifferent views. Although definitely not as strongly as divided opinions over Apple. I wonder how long it will be fore hackers turn on them?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And as Microsoft is updating the firmware with a major update to run bigger DVDs, I guess it will again be more secure and the newer games cannot be run anymore, even with flashed drives.

Microsoft finds 1GB of extra space on Xbox 360 DVDs