Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

So, next week I'm off the the local hospital for an MRI scan of my cervical spine.

I've had strange headaches, neck pain and shoulder aches etc quite randomly over the last two or three years. There is also a strange lump on the right hand side of my neck which comes and goes but is not painful.

No one seems to have any idea what the cause of this could be.

Anyway, I saw the consultant at the hospital last Wednesday. He didn't say much. In fact, he seemed more interested in whether or not I had a girlfriend and what the psychiatrist said to me back in 2005. But he sent me for an X Ray there and then (apparently this one is 'different' to the one I had done last year) and referred me for an MRI scan.

Hopefully this might reveal the cause of the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else here has had an MRI scan?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not, but my Mum has has quite a few. She had a bad fall down the stairs at home and broke her neck, another bone further down her back and bashed a hole through her skull (so did a good job of it). She had to have loads of different scans and tests, including several MRIs over time. She said it is a little strange as you can feel the pulse of the magnets, but nothing bad.

Interesting that you have a lump in your neck as I also have one on the right hand side of my neck. I went to the doctors when I first noticed it in my teens and he just said it was a gland that probably was more susceptible to infections. However it has always remained feeling fairly solid/hard. So I will be interested to know what they find out with you. What did you have done last year?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Interesting that you have a lump in your neck as I also have one on the right hand side of my neck. I went to the doctors when I first noticed it in my teens and he just said it was a gland that probably was more susceptible to infections. However it has always remained feeling fairly solid/hard. So I will be interested to know what they find out with you. What did you have done last year?
    Snap! The first Doctor I saw said that. The lump does come and go a bit and moves around when I am walking. It is very hard and doesn't hurt when touched. I've no idea whether it is related to the pain I get or not as something does feel like it could be in the wrong place (my Mum says there is something wrong with the alignment of my neck). I also get aches in my right shoulder and can dislocate it.

The second Doctor who I saw had a quick feel at it and sent me for an X Ray. The report said that there was nothing wrong.

I saw another Doctor a few weeks ago. He had a good fiddle with my head and suggested that the lump could be something which is calcified (didn't catch exactly what he said) and hence it wouldn't have shown up on the X Ray. He said it is probably related to the shoulder problem. He referred me to the Orthopaedic Triage Clinic. The lady there had a good feel at my neck and said that the lump could probably just be a growth of bone as a result of sitting in funny positions. But she referred me to a consultant at the hospital so we could be 100% sure what it is.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Strange that you opened this thread. I already had many, as you perhaps know I already had a back surgery in 1990. Since then I often have problems and pain in my back.

When I was in Prague for Easter, one day I really had tremendous pain and I had to call the doctor to my hotel, I got injections pills and also a brace to wear to stabilize the back. When I returned to Luxembourg I immediately took an appointment in the MRI, I will go next week, the 27th of May, and then I will go to the doctor the 6th of June to see what happens.

I always have a vertebral disc dislocated, and this time it's the same. So usually they cut a bit of it off, but you can't do that forever, as sooner or later you won't have a disc anymore at all.

A friend of mine had the same problem, also had already one surgery, and now went for the second time some months ago. They replaced her disc by a prosthesis with a ball bearing, and she says that she feels now perfectly. Might wanna do that too, will see.

Anyway I will let you know once I consulted the doctor.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 17th May 2011 at 15:09.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn't heard of them being able to replace the disc with a prosthesis. In the UK people I know with similar issues have only ever been offered fusing of the bones, which I can imagine should be a last resort as it must restrict mobility a lot.

DC, I hope your back is OK and the results of the MRI are not bad.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    DC, I hope your back is OK and the results of the MRI are not bad.
    Well, I was hoping that too, but on the other side I want it to be better, so I want to ask about the operation and about all the options I have. Until now, nothing really helped and since 21 years I live with it, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and even sometimes (last 6 months very often) almost unbearable. So if a new surgery would help me eventually getting out of this up and downs, I would really decide to do it, instead of doing again exercises for some months and later it would start again.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the MRI scan today. I was in the scanner for about 20 minutes and got to listen to Radio 2. It was a Siemens scanner.

I made another appointment with the consultant, but it is in July, so I will have to wait some time to find out the results.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope they find what the cause is and it is good news.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope they find what the cause is and it is good news.
    Hope that too.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Went back to the hospital today. After waiting about 45 minutes, I saw Mr Bdsohfeorhgoerhgoehro Eoieurhgeuhgoegoergo.

To cut a 45 second long story into a 5 second one. There is nowt wrong with my neck and I can use it normally.

In the 45 seconds that he was there talking to me he seemed more interested in whether my Grandmother was with me .