Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, sounds good.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For external HD enclosures I recommend you look at the Icy Box range as they keep winning awards and their enclosures look nice too.

There are also a couple of external NAS solutions where you add your own drives to the external enclosure and then connect them to the network.

There is one from Netgear that allows two drives to be installed up to 800GB each giving a maximum external storage space of 1.6 TB. A friend has been using this Netgear unit for over a year without any problems.

Another I've seen recently that looks good but I don't know much about is the Icy Box NAS 1000. This allows an HD of any size and has both Ethernet and USB2 connections so you can copy all of the files to the drive faster using USB2, and then connect it up to the network for sharing the files. It is quite expensive for the unit but this seems the best solution for a NAS unit on a LAN.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What I am looking for is just for an external storage that I can store emulation stuff as backup. Thats it. Just backup space considering my laptop HD is not that large.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Then one of the Icy Box external enclosures would be ideal. You could by a normal internal Harddrive of any size and install it inside one of these enclosures and then connect it to your laptop via USB.

If you decide to do this make sure you get the Harddrive and Enclosure to match as you can get enclosures for the older style IDE (PATA) drives and for the newer SATA drives. At the moment it will be cheaper to stick with the older IDE (PATA) drives and enclosures.

The other advantage of using an external enclosure is that if anything goes wrong with the enclosure itself it is quite cheap to relocate the drive in a new enclosure.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had a look a the Icy Box enclosures, and they're quite expensive too (the SATA II one is 40€, the others 25€). Buying an external HD immediately gets not more expensive.

But as you say, the enclosures have surely some advantages over an ext HD.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just came across this, did anyone know that:

When trying to go to www.maxtor.de it says

Looking for Maxtor?

You’ve been redirected to this page because Maxtor has been acquired by Seagate Technology.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, Maxtor was acquired by Seagate a long time ago now. The .com Maxtor site also goes to the Seagate site.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already got a brand new one back today, the same model. I'm actually copying the files again to it, hope it will last for a longer time than the previous one.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear you got a brand new replacement. That didn't take too long at all for them to replace it. Fingers crossed it does last longer.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That didn't take too long at all for them to replace it.
    One week, it was pretty fast. I now copied all the files (which I still had) to it again. Perhaps external disks are also not made for bigger updates via torrents, as it died whilst trying to update the Future Pinball set, whilst checking, it froze at 79% and died, it didn't even begin the d/l.