Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry [PS3] PSN Network Down

Any of you with a PS3 will already know the PSN network has been down since the 17th April.

Sony didn't release any details about why it was down for nearly 6 days... and then released an official statement which can be read here: http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/...ervice-Update/

So after guessing what had happened, we find out it was due to the network being breached by a hacker. Sony took the network down as a safety measure as soon as they realised someone had hacked in and potentially stolen personal data from members accounts, possibly as many as the whole 70 million users personal details (including full name, address, login usernames and passwords, and even credit card details!).

To say this is a bad attack is an understatement. It probably has to be one of the worst on record, and you have to wonder why it wasn't more secure, especially where members payment details and other sensitive data is concerned. Or was it secure and the hackers were just that good? Maybe even an inside job or ex-employees!

Do you think the cracking of the PS3 firmware/OS is to some extent to blame? After all, how else would anyone be able to look into the inner workings of the PS3 and get an understanding of its security measures, account setup and payment systems. So should we really be pointing the blame at the PS3 firmware cracker and not Sony?

If you have a PSN account, what are your feelings about what has happened? Who do you blame the most?

And do you think this is the end of it? Just to prove a point... the network still isn't back up a full 12 days after the breach was first discovered... so it must be pretty bad. But at least Sony didn't just blindly keep the network running, whilst trying to patch it behind the scenes. I fully support they decision to pull the service until they can be sure it is better secured for its users.

I wonder if Xbox live or the Wii marketplace will be the next target? Live doesn't have nearly as many users as PSN, and it is a more fragmented service, with only the members account login being central, and all gaming servers run by their respective game developers. Sony controlling and channeling everything through their own PSN servers might have been a good idea, but a bad one for getting hacked.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I've been following this situation closely. This is a PR nightmare for Sony, but otherwise people don't have much to worry about in my opinion. Firstly, that they didn't give out any details about what had happened is very typically Sony. May be typical japanese corporate culture, I don't know. But it is very typical of Sony to pretend that there is nothing wrong when literally on fire, and once the fire's been put out, not acknowledge that there ever was a problem in the first place. So that they did come out with information, and with fairly detailed updates at that, is kind of commendable in a very backwards sort of way for them.

So they've come out with some details about this. Basically the information on their users are stored in two tables, one unencrypted table stored account info, username, password, e-mail, everything. They know this one was stolen, and are advising users who use the same handle and password in other places to change them. Once they're done restoring the network there will be a mandatory firmware update which will among other things force everyone to change their passwords. The second table contained all your credit-card info, and this table is encrypted. They don't see the evidence that this has been taken the way they can see that the first one was, but they can't rule it out so are warning people nonetheless. So unless Sony is lying I think it is safe to assume that your credit-card details are safe. They can't see that it was stolen and it's encrypted anyway. And I don't think there's any reason to think they are lying, their normal strategy is to not acknowledge problems officially, not lie about them. So I'm not worried. Annoyed? Yes, very. But not worried.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn't read about the tables, so if that is true it is good news about the card details. Annoying however about the account details not being encrypted.

Personally I dont' blame Sony, but the hackers who are no better than those who code viruses.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems that PSN is online again a couple of days now, but surely not 100% ready.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, we were able to update our passwords last week when the firmware update was released, but still not able to fully log in. And for the past couple of days we can now log into the network fully, see friends, send messages, view trophies and play games. Only the PS Store seems to still be offline now.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, actually I changed my password too as Sony stated and downloaded the newer version.

Hope that everything will be running smoothly soon enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The PSN Store. A digital shop. I tried to picture clusters of downloads as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... at 6.15am BST on 2nd June...

I got in...
    This is not a signature

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, so the PSN Store is back up. I will have to try it later.

However, Sony have now faced another setback. Have you heard today that a group of hackers are claiming they have hacked into Sony's website and stolen over 1 million usernames, passwords, email addresses etc. If this is true then it could put back Sony's hopes of the PSN network being fully back up and running again.

There is a time and place for hacking, to prove a point, but I am completely against these types of hackers that completely disrupt the usabiity and enjoyment of everyone trying to use a service. They think themselves smart in doing this, but it doesn't just hurt the owners of the network. It also hurts all of the third party companies using the network for their own revenue and business promotion. Plus it really hurts all of the users.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cannot login to PSN through Sony's site on the internet (Site under maintenance), but from PS3 I can. Anyone having the same problem?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never log into the website, just via the PS3.