Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desk and chairs

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Desk and chairs

What recommendations do you all have for 'computer' chairs?

I got a new chair in late 2005 to replace my now 14 year old chair, which looks a bit past it. However, I never liked this new chair as much, and then one of the arm rests broke. So I switched back to the old one.

Then for Christmas 2007, I was given another new chair. Again, I still don't like this chair as much as the old one. The only advantage to this old one is that the back is taller and it supports my head, which is a good thing as I have a bad neck. Rather than putting the old chair in the loft like I did back in 2005, I have kept both the old one and the new one in my bedroom, which takes up too much space.

Also, this new one is now a bit worn out, with some of the covering coming off.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for chairs? I wouldn't mind something to replace both my old and new ones.

I am also interested to know what everyone here does for a desk.

My current computer desk was made in 1997 and we got it to accommodate the A500+ which I got back then. The desk still works OK, i.e., it will support a large speaker, a 21" Trinitron and a Model M keyboard, but it is falling apart. Numerous bits of wood have broken, and it is wobbly. Some more bits of wood broke on it the other week, so for security, it is propped up with the Yellow Pages.

I have wanted a new one for a few years, but I am interested to know what everyone else has. I will probably build one myself, then I can have it exactly as I want it, and it will be cheaper. But I have seen a couple of nice (but very expensive) desks on the John lewis website .

I put some pictures here: http://stevecoates.net/photos/desk/
    Last edited by Stephen Coates; 9th April 2011 at 21:38.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What have you been doing to those chairs!!!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I never had a desk and proper chair, and nowadays I use my computer on my TV from the couch with a bluetooth mouse but wired keyboard. Before I got this TV which enabled me to do so I just had a corner in the living room, sitting in a typical livingroom chair with the monitor up on a bookshelf. It never really worked that well but was the only solution back then. When I got my HDTV I had allready had the PC hooked up to my old TV for some time for watching downloaded films and such, so was happy that I could now use my TV as a more permanent monitor. In fact I threw out my old monitor years ago and haven't had one since.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also want to know what you have been doing with your chairs Steve! I've had a leather office chair for about 10 years and it is pretty much as good as new and I've used it a lot. Just don't get how your chairs are so worn.

Regarding desks. I've got a pretty large beach office desk with a built in cable management system. It's a sweaping shape, and next to it is a matching seperate pedastal set of draws with filling cabinet bottom draw. It's very similar to the desks I used to have in a design agency I used to work at, which was the reason for me originally getting it. Cost quite a lot at the time (about £450 I think) but well worth it. And the cable management system is quite cool, with a lock under the front, and the whole desk top sliding forward about 6 inches to reveal the cable tray at the back, with vertical ducting down each side and points at each end at the top for wires to be threaded up onto the desktop. I will take some pictures of it when I get time this week. I've never regretted buying it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just sitting on them.

Maybe your chairs are better quality harrison?

I think initially it just broke a bit at the seams and got worse from then.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always just bought reasonable quality (a range or 2 up from the poorest quality stuff) from places like Ikea, and they've been OK. Same for chairs really. A lot of it depends on how well put together they are too, and of course the load/use they will have to cope with. Lower down shelves like yours irritate me as it is easy to bang an ankle/toe against, and there is also the temptation to rest your feet on the shelf, which'll end up breaking the cheaper stuff.

I never really spent hours and hours in front of the computer, and now we have a decent laptop and a netbook (and smart phones and an HTPC on the big telly) I don't think we we'll be using the big PC all that often (maybe tryping longer documents, and photoshopping with aproper keyboard/mouse combo). I don't think we need all that much space in the office, other than for the piles of paperwork and junk. But then, we probably don't really need so many internet-connected devices, but I guess it's nice to have them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I've got a pretty large beach office desk
    Beats my seaside desktop background any day :/

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just sitting on them.
    Are you sure ???
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I do sit in funny positions and I tend to lean back in them a lot, resulting in them falling over.

I saw a nice desk in John Lewis earlier. They had some office chairs that were in the region of GBP900 .

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I've got a pretty large beach office desk
    Beats my seaside desktop background any day :/
    Thanks for that JT!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The wooden back broke on my my old chair. Maybe I can glue it back together.

I should just get a new chair I think.

I'm thinking of building a big desk into my bunk bed.