Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPad 2

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Being disconnected would be weird. Think back, you would only know what people are doing or where they are by phoning them up? How strange.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought one on Friday at the date of it's release, and I managed to grab one, as stock was limited and the sale only started at 17:00 o'clock. I got the black 16GB Wifi version, it was 465€. Updating to the newest software right now, we didn't test it yet, as we were not home for the weekend.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    Being disconnected would be weird. Think back, you would only know what people are doing or where they are by phoning them up? How strange.
    Indeed, and I had to look at a paper map, or *shudders* ask people for directions. And phone dierctory enquiries to find telephone numbers.... weak.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far I really like it, installed some apps, and I must say that everything looks really great and the handling is top notch as of course is the design and the whole layout, lies perfectly in your hand.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The biggest and main improvement with the iPad 2 is the reduction in weight and thickness of the device. As you say, the new one is much nicer to hold. The original iPad always felt a little bit too heavy to bulky to be able to hold it in one hand, so not ideal if using it stood or walking.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Nice, I hadn't seen the new Tab. When is it being released in the EU?
    not really sure, but probably sometime in may ?

btw, it turns out there are actually two 10.1's coming, one a thicker version with 8 mp camera (dubbed 10.1v), the other 'thinner than ipad2' sporting a 3 mp camera. quite a mess really, make up yer minds samsung folks !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1

keeping in mind the thicker version also not having external sd slot, I can't see anybody going for that one ? The camera is not a big factor for me, most of the time these things have horrible camera quality anyway, regardless of pixel density ... I'm kind of interested in the 8.9 one, depending on the price. WiFi only for me, as I can't see the point of 3G tablets once you have a rooted/WiFi tethering phone ?

Regarding Steve's comments... when I first saw and tried the new tablets I thought exactly the same "what is the point". However, they do have their uses and I think they will eventually replace the laptop as the computer on the move. Laptops are still fairly bulky and heavy and with smartphone OS and tech getting more advanced all the time, the tablets are starting to offer features laptops can only dream of.
    yes, the only reason to keep a laptop could be to have a keyboard, (but then if you gonna sit and type you could also connect an external keyboard to your tablet I presume) and if sometimes you crave the physical keys to type on, you should really check the asus transformer, upcoming laptop-tablet hybrid from asus.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/a...dition-review/

the video comparison with the XOOM is very interesting, the asus screen looks much better, the design overall sleeker, and it's cheaper !

The camera is total nightmare it seems, but then you're probably not going to shoot a short movie with this one so it's not a big deal.

other notable HoneyComb tablets are Acer A500 (nice name lol), LG's G-Slate, and the upcoming Sony stuff. The clamshell one looks interesting, as it is compact and will act as a natural screen protector.

Now having said all that, I will bring in light an issue which google has not solved yet, low latency audio on android devices. I don't know if any of you guys are interested in music, but for serious music applications, this is a must and google fails to deliver here while apple does. (this is why we don't have stuff like garage band on android, which is very frustrating) I believe lethargic behaviour of google lies in the fact that the Apple have complete control over their hardware/software, and they have limited hardware to support, which they can choose. However, google has partnerships, and lots of platforms to support. It probably takes time to get approval on what to do and what not. But still it sucks not to have something on the ipad

still not gonna buy an ipad, not when they still put these tools to market it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_d6_gbb90I#t=03m49s

maybe a couple of years later, and the fad is over ...