Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

WinUAE 1.4.0 AVI output mutes play session

Not found anything on Google about this. So assuming it's a Windows XP configuration problem instead of WinUAE feature.

Activating "AVI output enabled" mutes game session sound. Playback of video has sound active.

Disabling AVI output during a play session and sound returns to game session.

Using XviD and PCM 44.1 KHz, 16 bit codecs. Onboard Realtek ALC882 chip.

Anyone got any pointers?

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    After you've enabled the avi output, what shows up in the Sound tab? Does it still show Enabled and Volume at 100%?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sound settings remain set the same in record/normal mode.

Placing a tick in automatic switching (sound tab) vanishes once output has been activated.

Going to try a Shuttle forum (SN27P2) as I imagine this is a Windows Realtek setup quirk, or a limitation of the barebones.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be possible that the PC (if it's a barebones) simply doesn't have enough power to emulate the Amiga's sound and do on-the-fly encoding to XVid. Have you tried a less intensive codec such as HuffYUV?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same thing happens to me. Emulation speed also drops from 50 fps to around 30-35 fps while capturing. So my bet is that dropping the sound is actually a feature, freeing some more CPU cycles for capturing. Considering the emulation speed drops a little (at least in my case), the sound would be horribly garbled if it was playing. In that case most people would prefer it not playing anyway, so maybe that's why it's off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the help. HuffYUV didn't make any difference.

Tried DivX 6.5.1 bloated install and it caused an AVIStreamWrite() Failed (80044066) error. What version of DivX are people using?

Used this sites tutorial, and Recorded Amiga Games FAQ, and not changed anything else.

Pretty sure it's a Realtek configuration issue as reinstalled driver. Then lost sound recording on Fraps and had to remove a mute from Stereo mix.

For interest I get the following FPS:
    HuffYUV v2.2.0 60FPS output active, 50FPS output off.
    XViD MPEG4 40FPS output active, 50FPS output off

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for the time wastage. Idiot alert.

Even though the option was unticked for "Disable sound output while recording", ticking "Disable frame rate limit while recording" then reticked sound option and ghosted it out.

I didn't notice the sound option was reticked while ghosted out. Or assumed as it was ghosted out it wasn't being utilised.

Trying a game with audio available and I can understand why it's disabled by default. Some more tweaking needed I think.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Agram, welcome to the forums! A question, what made you decide to make movies of your gameplay on WinUAE?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read a thread on a non-Amiga forum that had plenty of links to Amiga game videos on Youtube.

Searching Youtube had many personal favourites of mine not listed (Amiga versions), e.g. Populous 2, Hunter, Thunderhawk, etc. Other personal favourites that are available have audio playback issues or added music that ruined the experience for me.

I've never checked out these video streaming services before. So never knew there was an interest in retro and current game footage.

Previously I had considered recording PC game endings and cutscence using Fraps before reading the retro thread. I still intend to do this, with Boiling Point: Road To Hell going to be my first attempt. Or maybe Titan Quest as I don't fancy replaying all of Boiling Point to get the cut scenes.

As many PC games I've brought have been too time consuming, I though it would be handy to have the cut scenes and endings recorded for people that never got around to finishing a game. Or became bored with the game and only played it to see the ending (as I've experienced with Dungeon Siege 2, and currently with Titan Quest)

The Amiga game recording seems a good extension of the above. Especially as I don't buy many PC games. And I still have some games I transfered to ADF that I never completed originally on an Amiga (maybe maturity will help)

Only problem is I know nothing about encoding (don't want to start buying additional software so early into my attempts). Know nothing about emulation, as demonstrated by this thread. And need to reformat already as messed things up by installation so many different codecs and alike before I try again.

The record function of WinUAE seemed logical instead of trying to use a secondary program to record (not checked if any are available, or if Fraps would work). But I underestimated how demanding emulation is on a PC even with a X2 4200 (shame WinUAE doesn't support dual cores). As it's only been this week I've decided to try my hand at this its been a practical experience with no prior reading up.

The advantage of video stream is ease of use for the end user. And as it's rekindled my desired to play again, but with emulation, it would probably have the same effect on others. There's no need for the end user to download a large file and then realise the quality or content is poor. No need to try and source files from various places to try emulation. Just a readily accessible (historical if you like) record of an Amiga game experience.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but bear in mind that there are certain drawbacks with these streaming services that are the reason the quality of the available videos is so poor. First and foremost is that the Amiga outputs video at 50 frames per second, resulting in pretty smooth animation and movement. Youtube for example do not allow videos with fps rates higher than 30. So when you encode with Youtube in mind, it makes sense to halve the framerate of your video to 25. And allready you have a significant drop in quality, for example you get uneven motion where the original amiga is smooth. Another problem is for example in Pinball Fantasies, some text outputs in the score field are flashing very fast: off one frame, on the next. So that it flashes 25 times per second. Now removing half of those frames will seriously mess up how that looks. This is a problem I encountered while capturing footage from Fantasies, and which I couldn't figure how to fix so will be apparent in the final video. This will be a recurring problem in other games that has real fast animation like that.

Also, the max screensize allowed on Youtube is 320*256. And it has to be less than 100MB. So in order to achieve this you have to do some serious downgrading of the overall video quality. In addition to that, Youtube also use their own compression algorithm on the video regardless, which degrades the video even further. So it's easy to understand why the videos on there are such poor quality, you really have to work to end up with a good result when there are so many hurdles in the way.