Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

3.55 CFW PS3 - new stuff

Hi,
    finally i was able to set 68020/AGA on the PS3 UAE.
    WB31 works fine, games, and all demos so far.
    for a version so low in options, the emulator works very fine.

- Amiga UAE
    You can do a Pen drive with the package to install and also put on the same pen, a config fine with your adf, so if you give it to someone, he would just have to run the package and then run the program and it will launch you adf automaticaly. Very nice to send a demo/intro to someone that dont know anything about amiga. It's the only way i know to do a software for PS3

- Linux
    I also try the debian Linux with albestos and LV2 v9 patcher.
    It starts but i have some error in the kernel... anyone try it?
    you can also put ubumtu but the setup a bit hard to di...

- files over 4GB
    i try PSARC to decomperss files over 4GB so i can get them in FAT32 external HD. It works ok.

- FTP server
    it also works, it enables you to copy frmo your pc to the PS3 all files you want, but you must do it with wires, with wireless it was at 1mb/s ... to slow, with wires, i was able to do it at average of +/- 13mb/s

anyone try oher software? other emulators?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really only testing/using PS3 stuff on it. Well obviously also FTP server and all the managers you need to be able to actually run stuff on it.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed FBA Next now, because I still had a set on my PC, and it works perfectly. Quite nice to play some CPS1, CPS2, Neo Geo... games on the big screen.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    New uae now gets hdf setups.
    I was able to boot Amigasys Aga 4 on PS3 !
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is great... sounds like they are moving forward with the PS3 UAE quite fast. Do you know who is working on that project? Anyone from the existing Amiga community? So tempting to get a second PS3 to run CFW on and not go online just to explore homebrew and emulation on.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    dont know, i didnt search a lot, didnt find any "main site" about it.
    what i know is that the emulator is getting better:

What you can have
    - you now can work with 68040 and 68060
    - you can have HDFs, i test WB31 and Amigasys Aga4, both work fine
    - floppy emulated at 800%
    - 4 floppys
    - all ROMs... i tested, 1.2 ; 1.3 and 3.1 both work fine

what you dont have yet:
    - real keyboad, you only have a virutal keyb, holding down R2 then cicle all keyboard keys one by one... not the best solution....
    - use the internal HD (didnt test thi yet, but i didn't see any option, you only have HD by *.hdf), i guees
    that if you work with an external HD it will work, if it works with a PEN, it will work with external HD i gues...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    I was able to boot Amigasys Aga 4 on PS3 !
    Nice. Only question here is, do you really need it?

That's why I wonder that you (Harrison) are being tempted to get a second console, only to "test" this stuff. How many devices do you have at home where you are running homebrew, which also means, a bit of the same stuff over and over again, only on other systems. I totally understand that you want to try out some stuff, like emulation on the 1st XBox, or some emulation on a handheld like the PSP, but does one really need to have the same emulators on every existing device in the house? Would you eventually USE emulation like UAE on a Wii? I doubt that.

My advice, spend your money on something else.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Being able to boot HDF files is a huge thing for Amiga emulators to be able to do. This removes the need to manually load each game from an ADF. Instead you can have ClassicWB or Amigasys installed on a HDF and use WHDLoad to have the complete Amiga game library ready and waiting to run from Workbench. It makes a huge difference because you don't need to wait for the emulator to emulate loading the games from a virtual floppy drive; they boot directly from the HDF in seconds. WHDLoad is the only real logical way to run games on an Amiga these days.

I would really like to see how the various versions of ClassicWB run on the PS3 using an HDF. It would need to be about 20GB in size to fit all of the KGWHD game packs and other stuff in there, but would then be a standalone HDF setup to run anything you liked for the Amiga.

Regarding a second PS3. The PS3 is one of the best consoles for use as a media player (far better than the Xbox 360 and its WMP stuff), so having one in the living room, mainly as a media server, and for some multiplayer Move games... and another in the study/gameroom, mainly for gaming would be a great setup. Just an idea.

Out of all consoles available, the PS3 is easily the most powerful, so if emulation developers can get UAE, MAME and others working well, the PS3 will be a great emulation console... like a more portable MAME cabinet if you like.

All other consoles from the last generation and earlier have not quite had enough power to do most emulators justice, and whilst they are all great fun to play around with, I've never wanted to use any of them as the main hardware to run each of the emulators from. I've always returned to my emulation PC for actually playing games on. Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast emulators are only just able to get enough speed to run Amiga ECS games, so again are not ideal. And their versions of MAME are not brilliant. They are all fun to play around with, but not practical to use as a console for emulation gaming. Ans N64 emulators have only ever really been about the ability to run them on the console, rather than utilise them every day. Portable systems are more appealing because of their portable nature. Being able to emulate something anywhere has its different appeals, even if not perfect. But for emulation at home I don't think any console to date has really been quite powerful enough, until now and the PS3.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    makes a huge difference because you don't need to wait for the emulator to emulate loading the games from a virtual floppy drive; they boot directly from the HDF in seconds. WHDLoad is the only real logical way to run games on an Amiga these days.
    wht do you think i am testing all this stuff ? Exactly, WHDload is the way !!! and with the WHDload key, even faster!!
    This weekend i will make the ClassicWB3.9 setup, let you know if it worked. But if ClassicWB worked, ClassiWB3.9 should work to !!

I just wish they put the feature of being able to use the internal HD, imagine, you could play with the internal files, you could do software to list games, and maybe even, run them.... (?) If you could access the internal HD just as you do in your WinUAE you could do your own backup system/copy manager.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    so if emulation developers can get UAE, MAME and others working well, the PS3 will be a great emulation console... like a more portable MAME cabinet if you like..
    Like I mentioned before, FBA games (which run also under MAME) just work fine.