Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you noticed through that in all the reports about Commodore Games, none of them seem to have realised that this is not actually the same company as the original Commodore, but instead a new start-up using the Commodore brand name to give its product range some recognition.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Have you noticed through that in all the reports about Commodore Games, none of them seem to have realised that this is not actually the same company as the original Commodore, but instead a new start-up using the Commodore brand name to give its product range some recognition.
    Yeah they do seem to gloss over that fact, but then I suppose they have a limited no. of words for the article. I notice the BBC do mention it in the pictures section with "Despite selling well in Europe, the Amiga CD32 did not perform well enough globally to stave off Commodore's 1994 collapse."

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The person who sold me my copy of OS3.9 sent it in a Commodore case (The CD was original though so I can't comment on Tulip's CDs).

I think those cases look nice, although I would prefer a case that can have CD ROM drives fitted in it.

If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point as they just look like any other IBM compatible and run Windows Vista.
    Just haveing the Commodore name on a system with an Intel processor and Windows doesn't really make it any better than a Dell or a Compaq system.

Now if it was an Amiga with a PowerPC processor then my opinion might be slightly different

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They do have drive bays steve. They are just hidden behind a door!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post

If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point ....

Just haveing the Commodore name on a system with an Intel processor and Windows doesn't really make it any better than a Dell or a Compaq system.
    Now, I loved my Amiga, but I really do agree with Steve here, I just don't really see the big deal - it's just not anything special, it's just a name being thrown onto some (admittedly decent looking after a quick glance) assembled components. Nice looking case though.

I've nothing against either of the brands he mentions, either, it's just that I wouldn't pay over the odds for an alienware or similar.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true and sort of the point I was making above. All of the reports are hyping it as the comeback of Commodore with a new system, and not mentioning it is just the brand name of Commodore, and not actually the company behind the great C64 and Amiga.

You will basically be getting a PC built using the current parts, packaged in a Commodore branded box.

But as a case design it is cool and I would love to have one of those cased to house one of my PCs.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The trouble is, can you really create a home computer to compete against the PC? I don't think you can. Look at the only alternative and how much that struggles to gain market share. Any new machine would never get off the ground. And the home console market is pretty much sewn up with the big three of Sony, MS and Nintendo.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The trouble is, can you really create a home computer to compete against the PC? I don't think you can. Look at the only alternative and how much that struggles to gain market share. Any new machine would never get off the ground. And the home console market is pretty much sewn up with the big three of Sony, MS and Nintendo.
    The future will not be a computer format to compete against the PC, but in my view it will be a home entertainment console that will be the biggest threat to the PC being the main computer system in many family homes.

I have many thoughts on this so have started another thread about this.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post

If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point ....

Now, I loved my Amiga, but I really do agree with Steve here, I just don't really see the big deal - it's just not anything special, it's just a name being thrown onto some (admittedly decent looking after a quick glance) assembled components. Nice looking case though.

I've nothing against either of the brands he mentions, either, it's just that I wouldn't pay over the odds for an alienware or similar.
    I would find it very awkward having a door covering the drives up, unless I needed to stop someone from using them.

Why is everyone saying that this is really special? It is worth noting that commodore are making new machines, but it's nothing special as has already been mentioned here.

The only PC from a company that I was class as special is the Mac, because they have some more unique designs and run MacOSX without hacking it, but at the end of the day, they are really just standard PCs with a few minor differences.

I supposed when compared to the Mac, you will be able to install whatever OS you want on the commodores, rather than just being limited to what Boot Camp says you can install.

BTW, did you know that there is also a new company called Acorn,who are making PCs, with the old Acorns logo?