Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sony begins PS3 banning!

Sony wasn't fooling around yesterday when it announced it would be taking action against PlayStation 3 owners using illegal hacking software and homebrew applications to play pirated games.

An IGN tipster forwarded us an e-mail from Sony yesterday night asking him to remove his software hacks from his console or he will be banned from PlayStation Network.-

"Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently," a representative said in a statement given to IGN.

"Users can continue to use the PS3 system offline or use services that do not use PlayStation Network."

The full letter has been posted below:

Notice: Unauthorized circumvention devices for the PlayStation 3 system have been recently released by hackers for the PlayStation 3 system. These devices permit the use of unauthorized or pirated software.

Use of such devices or software violates the terms of your "System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System" and the "Terms of Services and User Agreement" for the PlayStation Network/ Qriocity and its Community Code of Conduct provisions.

In addition, copying or playing pirated software is a violation of International Copyright Laws. A circumvention device and/or unauthorized or pirated software currently resides on your PlayStation 3 system. Immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from your PlayStation 3 system. Failure to do so will result in termination of your access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through your PlayStation3 system.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't condone Piracy but at the same time Price Fixing the machines has been going on since the begining and the games themselves get no return on their investment. Go to Game Stop the day after you purchase a game or system and see the value fall atleast 60%. If you try to even buy a used PS2 your stuck at $99 for a system over 10 years old. My point being, there are more things to a PS3 than playing online and a teenager with no job...banning is a slap on the wrist, just be glad they didn't brick you.

Since they came out with the hack I have seen a sudden surge on Usenet of pirated material and yet, I'm just happy with a game of paman or treasure island dizzy.
    Moving forward, it was only a matter of time and as an anecdote....Like I said, I don't condone Piracy....But I understand it...

1990. I purchased Lattice C for the Amiga in order to program and design software for my beloved machine. I paid $155.00 for that sucker. Shortly, maybe 3 months later they knocked the price to $45.00 for whatever reason. As you can imagine I was PO'd...After that experiance, I have a differant outlook on who's ripping off who.
    You ever play, Crime Does not Pay on the Amiga? $32.00 for this piece of Garbage. Reviews said it was OK but they didn't mention the bugs....Again, who's stealing from who? Bitmap Brothers, BullFrog even CinemaWare...bought every game....Others...

Anyway, Sony shot themselves in the foot by closing out the Linux stuff on that last update. Should have left well enough alone.

Also, I am still laughing at how much the PSP GO bombed...even AFTER everyone kept saying that no one will buy solely DL content and forced to re-purchase CSO games?
    Which moron thought this up is beyond me. I haven't checked lately but I wonder if Dark Alex is working on that.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Piracy of commercial games on consoles will always be spurred on by price. If the games cost £10 when new then you wouldn't see it as much, but there will always be those who will pirate for free regardless, and you won't ever stop them.

I think with the PSP Go, Sony were testing the water ready for the PSP 2. Seeing that DL only wasn't popular the PSP 2 will now use a memory card style game cart to load games, alongside DL versions using the PS3 PN Store.

I fully agree regarding Linux support on the PS3. HAd they left it in then homebrew and emulator developers would have still had a way to develop for the system, all be it not directly as a hardware level. It would have reduced the need to hack the firmware and release a custom one. I doubt it will be all that long before 3.56 is released as a CFW, but also I think from now on it will be a cat and mouse game with Sony patching quickly each time to block them. They haven't managed it fully with the PSP CFW yet, so I can't see them being able to forever with the PS3 either. Only time will tell.

Personally I only want to run CFW on the PS3 for emulators.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    You don't even own a PS3

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    You don't even own a PS3
    Poster of the Month right there! HAHA!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Umm... but I do. I've owned a PS3 slim for quite some time now.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are you waiting to try the emulator ????
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need online access on my PS3 so decided not to installed a CFW for the moment. So can't run emulators.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umm... but I do. I've owned a PS3 slim for quite some time now.
    Then you didn't tell us I think

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry. Been quite busy and not had much chance to play it. My PSN name is AmigaHarrison if you ever play online.