RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

My CM8833 MkII broke

*sob*

The CM8833 MkII which I got off r6stu about 5 years ago () decided it no longer wanted to work an hour ago.

After my Dad finally moved out of his house (where the monitor used to be located) in 2009, I brought it here and have used it instead of my Toshiba television set. Connecting a DVD Player or Freeview box to it via the composite input gives a better picture than using RGB on the television. It also has stereo speakers.

I was just laughing at some clips on Police Stop 8 which I recorded off ITV4 on my PVR when the monitor switched off and only emitted a high frequency sound out of the speakers/headphones. This sounds does continue for a few seconds after the monitor is switched off but the frequency reduces. There is no other sound and no picture, and the green light on the front doesn't come on.

I expect it will be repairable, but I am not sure what is wrong with it. Any ideas?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My guess is the PSU capacitors have finally given up. If it had been the CRT tube you could have seen signs of it failing in the picture, and the high frequency sound coming from the speakers is a common sign of PSU fault/failure.

You can replace the capacitors yourself, but remember they are very high voltage and can kill if not discharged correctly. And no, you can't just wait X days to ensure they are discharged because there is no way of knowing if they really are unless you test their charge. So be very careful.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Simplest way to discharge a capacitor is to short its terminals. Done.

Thought it might be the power supply. I will have to try and investigate further.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only a guess, but have you checked if the monitor's PSU has a main fuse in it? If this is blown then it would indicate a more serious issue than the PSU being at fault itself.

I've also read that the high pitched sound is a common fault, with 90% of the time being caused by the flyback (LOPT) getting shorted inside, causing current to pass trough the horizontal transistor, which will kill that also. So check the caps for bulges and cracks. Basically check all the capacitors.

If you can't get it to work, someone in Manchester is selling a working one on Amibay if it interests you. Sale is here.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    If you can't get it to work, someone in Manchester is selling a working one on Amibay if it interests you. Sale is here.
    Looks nice, but there is no way I am carting one of those all the way from Manchester.

The fuse doesn't look like it has blown. I will test it properly later though just to be 100% sure.

I do hope the flyback transformer isn't knackered as that will probably mean finding a replacement.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is I know someone I can pass you on to who can refurbish it or give you a swap out replacement.