Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

First CFW released for PS3

Some days ago a custom firmware was released for the PS3. You can read further here. I won't take the risk yet, although this might get quite tempting and interesting for the future.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is brilliant news. I knew it would happen eventually, and I'm wondering if DarkAleX is behind this first PS3 CFW, because he recently left the PSP scene to concentrate on something new.

This signifies a new beginning for the PS3 because finally creating CFW means homebrew and emulation is now fully possible and on a proper hardware level. It could also enable the hackers to put PS2 emulation back into the firmware... this was something again seen in the PSP CFW scene, where missing things in newer firmwares were added back in with the custom firmware versions by the installer access both the current official firmware and an older one to combine their code and create a unique hybrid CFW.

Definitely not worth doing this to your own PS3 yet as it is still very new. When CFW was new on the PSP many people ended up with bricked consoles, so is worth waiting until it is a little more mature. Also worth waiting until they are level with current official firmware because this is based on 3.41 and the current official is 3.50.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still waiting for a jailbreak for firmwares higher than 3.41, because the later released games won't work anymore, although there's 3.50 spoofs. But I have to say that the "older" games work all like a charm, I already have about 90 games downloaded, not even counting the PSN games.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will not bother this time. I'll leave my PS3 as it is. Games are cheap (not in Greece, but from UK) so I don't have a really good reason for custom firmwares (yet).
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    anyone did the crack yet?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, is way too early. Jailbreak is still an option as ling as your PS3 isn't at the most recent update.

There is also the issue the Sony are now hunting those who hacked the firmware and trying to bring a court case against them.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Waninkoko also released some CFW, but it's quite dangerous to put it, as it will probably brick your console. They also have now the first level 2 security hacks.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    New CFW released after the one from Waninkoko, which apparently doesn't brick your console (the chances with Waninkoko's were really high for a brick), plus this one has now also backup manager support, which was still missing in the CFWs before. So not only homebrew stuff will run.

Check it out here.

I'm a bit tempted now

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since the FW was finally cracked it looks like things are racing ahead. I'm still not tempted myself as it is still too early in my view. Looks like a lot of people are working on things to do with it, so it won't be too long before a more feature rich CFW comes along.

I noticed it is a CFW of 3.55, which is the current official one, so again great to see they can even hack the latest version. Has jailbreak been updated to work with 3.55? And if so have to tried it? I'm most interested in that really, and using JB to run backed up games from an external HDD is really all I would be interested in, and with JB it can still be easily removed to return the PS3 to standard to access the official PS3 network and play online. For me that is all I want.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I flashed mine now with the CFW, and until now it seems to work fine, have still to try out some stuff. I ran FIFA 11 through the Rogero Manager, and it started normally, like with the JB, I didn't even have to put an original backup into the console to make it launch, and of course no dongle and extra boot up sequence needed to go into JB mode. You only have to run the level 2 patch once when the PS3 is started, takes 5 seconds. When you switch the PS3 off, it's gone again, and you have to run it again with the next startup.

Putting some other games to test now, also 3.55 only ones, will see what happens. Yesterday I ran Vanquish through JB successfully, gonna try it now with the CFW. So far JB only still works with 3.41.

With this CFW you CAN play online and use the PSN store, that's what is great. Didn't try it out yet though. Will do soon...