Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The other thing I wanted to ask is if the CFW will run games from BD-R?

And what about region free Blu-Ray video? As standard the PS3 is region locked.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't know about PS2 games, but I think they will run from external disc. I didn't look into that yet, as it doesn't bother for me, if I want to play a PS2 game, I will still grab my PS2 to play it.

Don't know if you can burn games yet on BD and if the BD player of the PS3 will then be able to play it, and what would be the point, external storage is much cheaper, and you won't get coasters.

I was talking to Zyriax about the region free BD this afternoon, it should be possible to make the PS3 now region free for movies, but I guess it's not very important, hence not what people are concentrating on right now. Also as PS3 games are anyway region free, don't know if peope care about movies.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those interested in using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player will likely be interested because there are always a lot of releases in other regions that don't appear in your own. Those into Japanese horror and Manga for example, and even limited edition versions of films in different regions. I don't know if the BD film releases are effected in the same was as DVD was, but with DVD releases often the same film could be of very different quality in different regions, with US releases often being a high bittrate and cleaner image. I for one would love the ability to run US and Jap discs in a UK PS3.

Regarding running PS2 games. It is really keeping things tidy. If the PS3 could run all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games then no other systems would need to be setup, and with it all going through an HDMI cable produce a better image for everything. An all in one solution.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I said, it could be that there is already something for PSX and PS2 support, but I don't know as at the moment I don't really care about it.

I would like to see a cheating solution, a kind of Action Replay, which I think would be very easy to program, but I also think that not a lot of people are interested in it.

And don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to be able to run region A,B,C BDs in the PS3, but I doubt that this is one of their primary goals at the moment.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Tiago sent me a PM asking some questions about the custom firmware, I think I'm gonna put it here, if there's someone else wanting to do it, so I don't have to reply to everyone, just ask the question in this thread and I will answer it if possible. (I hope it's Ok for you Tiago?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago
    anyway, i friend of mine, just did the hack with sucess, so i will do the same steps as he did, just want to ask you, if it was the same way as you did, or if you see any thing wrong with this steps, a bit afraid of damaging the hardware:

- format a pen in fat32
    - get firmware 3.55 from http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/
    - put the file in pen ike this: x:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
    - dowload http://www.multiupload.com/EKOQWP2LIN
    - download md5checker http://www.georgejopling.co.uk/md5check/md5
    checker_setup.zip
    - extract the 2 last files and put in a temp directory, also put the PS3UPDAT.PUP
    in same directory
    - type in a cmd line: bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile
    - run MD5 checker, it should appear: 2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b
    - put the results in x:/PS3/UPDATE (pen)
    - connect the pen to ps3
    - then do the turn it on while pressing on/off .... i must check this better
    i think i must hear 2 beeps
    - then go to system update, then go on....
    - install Backup Manager (gaia manager ??)

is it somethign like this, or did you do, a very diferrent thing?
    what happend after? when you got all think setup? the day after you
    whant to install an original game, if i go to system information, what is the current firmware after the setups? will it be 3.55? will the original ask for a firmwaer upgrade?

thanks
    First of all, I wouldn't patch the PUP file myself, just download the already pre-patched file, it's attached with the original firmware in one of the threads in the link I sent you. I used that one, it's kmeaws 3.55 custom firmware.

Then like you said, put it under x:\PS3\UPDATE\ (file MUST be called PS3UPDAT.PUP)

Put the PS3 in standby mode (no need to power off).

Insert your pen with the update file.

Now hold down the power on button, the PS3 beeps once, then again, and then it switches it off again by itself.

Now hold down the button again, the PS3 turns back on, keep the button down until you hear two straight beeps, then release the button, and you will be in recovery mode.

There you install first the original 3.55 firmware (you only need to do that if yours ist still 3.41 or 3.50, or you already have another custon firmware installed, if you already have the original 3.55 firmware, just put the custom one).

Then you do the whole operation again, but you put kmeaws 3.55 custom firmware.

Now when you restart your PS3, in the row where the games are, you have 2 more menus, one being "install package files", from where you now install .pkg files, also your backup managers. The firmware will then be 3.55, and it will NOT ask you to update, as you have 3.55 installed.

Level 2 patch has now been integrated into backup managers, but they were still freezing the PS3 quite a lot. With the newest Gaia Manager 2.04, which I tested yesterday, there were no freezes anymore (at least when I tried).

You can now use external disks with games on it, or even USB stick, or you transfer them via FTP client to your internal PS3 disk, which is the best option. You can download blackb0x ftp server 1.2 for 3.55 from the internet, that one works fine. Or you just install Gaia Manager and in the GUI you enable it's FTP function, I think you have to press R1, it says onscreen.

Games on external disks go to x:\GAMEZ

Games on internal disk go to hdd0\game\laun12345\gamez (There's also other folders supported, but this is the one I used since the beginning, so I will stay with that one). If the backup manager doesn't create the folder by itself, you have to add it manually.

If there's something else, just ask.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That process sounds really easy. Can anything go wrong?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically not, there were no reports yet of bricking a PS3 with the latest CFWs. Of course don't switch the console off whilst updating, which can happen with any firmware you update, not only on the PS3.

Btw, yesterday Little Big Planet 2 was working like a charm.

And @Tiago what I forgot to mention, there's a program called "Fix File Permissions", which you should also install.

After putting a game to your HDD, and it doesn't work, just run this program. It will, like it says, fix again the file permissions, and will probably make your game start properly. This is because some FTP programs change file permissions when transferring them. So basically every time you put a new game to your internal HDD, run this program. Best is to put some games straight away, and run it once.

You don't need to run that program every time you start your PS3, only once when there's new files on the HDD. And when running it, don't think it froze, because it might take some time, at the moment when I do it, it takes 3-5 minutes due to the amount of files on my HDD. Just watch the HDD light flickering, then you know it's still running. It goes back to XMB when finished.

Though I started a game yesterday from my external HDD, and it worked straight away, without fixing the file permissions. Could be that they added it to the backup manager too, not sure about that, will have to try it out with another game. Or it is perhaps because I launched it from external HDD, and it wasn't transferred first via FTP to the internal one.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do they work on all versions of PS3?

And something else I just thought of. If you already have downloaded paid for games and other content will it effect them, or will they remain working as with a normal FW update? I'm assuming they will.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Works with ANY PS3. Downloaded content will still work as usual.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Gaia Manager 2.05 was released, comes with hardcoded payload, meaning even less crashes, and the payload has been changed (with syscall36), shouldn't also crash within a game now anymore.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Done !!!
    My is also working,
    I was able to do it with "Uncharted I". Very easy to do it.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you did it and you got it working

Played Dead Space 2 yesterday, works like a charm, I'm in chapter 5 right now.