Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCI Wireless

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

PCI Wireless

Are there any simple guides around on how to set up a PCI wireless card on an A1200 with a Mediator?

Also, are there any tips on what cards work/don't work?

That's if PCI wireless is even possible.

I currently have it set up with a Realtek PCI ethernet card which works well, but I would like to change to wireless so I can use the system without uncoiling an extremely long ethernet cable.

Using a PCMCIA card isn't really possible as the tower case prevents it.

Thanks
    Steve

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    As an alternative, what about using one of those external wireless bridge or access point thingy-bobs, that you pre-configure to talk to your wireless router? I can't remember the proper name for them, but then you could use carry on using your existing realtek card in the 1200. It's not ideal, as it introduces some more cables and messing, but might be useful for other devices getting online without the long ethernet cable. I think they can be had pretty cheaply, and I've heard of people using them for xbox 360s (the official wireless dongle is ridonkulousky overpriced). Possibly an alternative?

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the suggestion JT. I did know a bit about those a few years ago but have since forgotten. I will look into it as a possible option.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently using a PCMCIA Wireless LAN solution from Amigakit (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=121), but I know that they have a PCI card as well. I've used a PCI WLAN card from them in the SAM440EP. I believe this card might work with the Mediator as well.

Sadly I can't find it for sale anymore. Maybe you could send an enquiry to Amigakit about the card?

As for setting it up, I believe the card comes with the EasyNet installation system from Amigakit.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You mention you cannot use a PCMCIA wireless card because of your tower case. However, many people do using a 90 degree PCMCIA port adapter, then you can plug it in along the bottom of the case.

Failing that, I know that compatible wireless cards normally have to be based on the Prism chipsets, so that is a start. I remember finding a good list of compatible cards a long time ago when I was hunting for one for my A1200. Maybe it was on Wikipedia. I should have it bookmarked somewhere and will have a look later for you.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    You mention you cannot use a PCMCIA wireless card because of your tower case. However, many people do using a 90 degree PCMCIA port adapter, then you can plug it in along the bottom of the case.

Failing that, I know that compatible wireless cards normally have to be based on the Prism chipsets, so that is a start. I remember finding a good list of compatible cards a long time ago when I was hunting for one for my A1200. Maybe it was on Wikipedia. I should have it bookmarked somewhere and will have a look later for you.
    The right angle adaptor is a possibility, but a rather expensive one. Plus I would have to get another PCMCIA card, as the WaveLAN card which I have now is used regularly in my PowerBooks.

The WaveLAN card is Prism based so it is not surprising that Prism cards should work. I'll have a look round for one.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a netgear MA401 wireless PCMCIA card and it works perfectly with the A1200 and the prism2 drivers found at http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/prism2

You can find this netgear card fairly regularly on ebay. I just had a quick look but none at the moment in the UK ebay. One in the US currently for £15.48 + £6.45 postage, which is a bit expensive. I think I only paid about £5 for mine.

As for right angled adapter, they are expensive on amigakit (£22) but here is one on ebay for £9.05 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCMCIA-Right-A...item3a617ebea1

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also use a Netgear MA401 PCMCIA wireless with my A1200 together with EasyNet package from AmigaKit. Just the right stuff to start.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Payment Card Industry Data Security Standardis a global standard for information security defines Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. The standard was created to help organizations of payment cards that process card payments prevent credit card fraud with greater control over.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    User cherylfoster is now banned!