ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

PS2 Slim - Using HDD?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you have experience using a HDD on a PS2 Slim? I'm interested in using the SNES Station emulator on my PS2, but since my console is not modded, I'm a bit unsure about how to achieve this. Any pointers? I don't know much about PS2 to be honest, other than running and playing games of course. Thanks in advance for help.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My PS2's are chipped so I don't have personal experience of softmodding them, but it is possible.

You will need to do something called a memory card exploit, and there are a number of ways to do this using different discs such as Action Replay, codebreaker, Harddrive loader or Gameshark.

The exploit itself is called Free McBoot or FMCB for short. The full guide and tutorial for this can be found at http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html and within the installation section of that page it has methods for every type of disc you can use to install this exploit.

Good luck and hope you get it to work. Failing that, get your PS2 chipped, then you won't have any problems.
    Last edited by Harrison; 16th December 2010 at 02:18.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Easiest would definitely be to chip it, costs nothing anymore, and works like a charm. And of course you wouldn't mess things up.

Would be my advice and first choice.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. A mod chip is definitely the best solution, and both myself and DC both have the Matrix Infinitiy chip in our Slim PS2's and it works brilliantly. However this mod chip is no longer made AFAIK. Others still exist though such as the Modbo chips which are a clone of the Matrix Infinity chips so a good option, and can be found at great prices. I just did a quick search and found one for £14.63 at modsupplier.com

But saying that, unlike the Xbox, there is no danger at all of bricking a PS2 by softmodding it because you are not actually altering anything inside the PS2, instead installing software into a PS2 memory card to act as the boot device before loading the HDD. So a softmodded PS2 is a very good solution, plus it is portable, so if a PS2 fails you can just move the memory card to a new PS2 and continue without needing to set it up again.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a look at the various options. Thanks again!
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been a wile since my last post here , anyway on topic, I also have a slim ps2 and i use Free Mcboot on a 8mb mem card, i managed to boot a Snes station dvd with all the roms in it. This exploit makes possibl to boot "backup" games etc. and can leav the ps2 unmodified to use online.

Have a look here http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/ , there's toturials to help make the mem card and patch the backups to boot.