Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Broadband trouble

I'm experiencing broadband trouble at the moment. It was working fine last night, but this morning it was down. Logging into the rouiter it was showing the DSL was up but the Gateway was down, and it refused to connect when tried.

I disconnected it to cool down, but it still wouldn't connect, rebooted it a few times, checked all the connection settings etc... not having it.

So I've had to resort to digging out my old Pentium 2 PC with a built in modem to connect via dialup 56K!!! so I can access my emails and send a report to my ISP to investigate this for me. Fingers crossed it will be back up tomorrow... but if you don't see me online for a few days this is why.

I'd forgotten just how slow the internet is via dialup, although quite a lot loads fairly quickly, but logging into things seems to take an age, as does loading the java based interface for my email. Oh well...

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't you have a smartphone or something you could use for emails and bits?

I'd hate to go back to dial-up. It was bad enough being on mobile 'broadband'.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. It's ok for most things, but some sites such as my email use scripts that are too big, or require more power than the phone can cope with.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    So I've had to resort to digging out my old Pentium 2 PC with a built in modem to connect via dialup 56K!!! so I can access my emails and send a report to my ISP to investigate this for me. Fingers crossed it will be back up tomorrow... but if you don't see me online for a few days this is why.
    LOL

On the subject of 56k modems, I wonder if my serial Supra Express will work on Linux, since my only PCI modems are WinModems.

I've had a few issues with my DSL recently. A few times, the DSL light would be on, but the connection to plusnet would say 'disconnected', but more recently, the DSL light has just not come on at all. This did seem to happen at consistent times, such as Sunday afternoon when I was trying to listen to internet radio to avoid the Big Top 40 Show, and weekday evenings. I never did find out why, but it appears to have been fine for the last few weeks.

Good luck getting it working again harrison.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    56K - how did we manage. Oh yeah, the internet wasn't full of bloat back then like Flash and Java!

Hope you get it sorted. 56K will drive you insane fairly quickly I'd imagine.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems the broadband is suddenly working again now. Was down all yesterday and when I tried it earlier today. My ISP was very helpful and said they could see my connection was down when they looked and gave me the DSL login for the BT engineer test account to put into the router to test the connection, which was great service.

Fingers crossed it stays working now.

BTW, 56K was definitely very annoying... so sllloooowwwww. Although I'm not sure if all of the slowneess was just the connection, as it might have been the old P2 PC. I will try to relocate that PCI modem into a newer PC for future emergencies as it will make it much easier.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess if nothing else it makes one appreciate how quickly tech has advanced. It's easy to take the modern standard for granted I feel.

But when you lose it... totally sucks. I remember the few days before we left the UK and I'd cancelled the home internet and my mobile contract. I felt so disconnected, really quite uneasy about it.