Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

CD Cover designing software

I'm in the need of designing a somewhat neat CD Cover and are looking for a nice freeware program to do it with. I've been searching around a bit myself, but most are useless for various reasons ie not free, bloatware, and so on. Thought I'd found what I was looking for in Disketch CD Labeling software but that turned out to be no good. Couldn't scale images with it for one, and for some reason it refuses to remember what font you use and always prints Arial regardless. So can't use it. Suggestions, people? I only need to do this one CD, so no need for some heavy designing studio if I can avoid it.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Teho,
    someone asked a very similar question 1 or more year ago as i remember.
    try to find the post.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Tiago, but I've been searching for it and can't find any topics discussing it. I can't recall it being discussed here either, but that doesn't mean it hasn't. But searching isn't turning up anything I'm afraid.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I can't help you with dedicated software. I normally use with Adobe Illustrator or Indesign, but any DTP publishing software would work, and i know some free ones exist.

I just measure the size of the cover needed and create a box for the extreme edge of the artwork, then design the cover using the software. And for CD labels (if needed) I create a template in the same software using some vector circles and then create the label in the same way. Has worked perfectly for me for years.

A bit off topic, regarding cd labels. Has anyone tried Lightscribe discs? I've got a DVD-RW capable of lightscribe but I've not tried it out yet. I'm wondering how good the results look. I've heard you can burn the image more than once on the same disc to make the image stronger. Is that true? I imagine they look quite good, even being mono, for when you need to give a disc to someone. I'm thinking it might be good for design portfolio DVDs.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just measure the size of the cover needed and create a box for the extreme edge of the artwork, then design the cover using the software. And for CD labels (if needed) I create a template in the same software using some vector circles and then create the label in the same way. Has worked perfectly for me for years.
    Ended up with a similar solution. I opened a blank template in that otherwise useless Disketch program I mentioned, and took screenshots of the templates which I then pasted into MS Paint and used to design the whole thing there. Imported the finished images back into Disketch which after all was able to print them out in the right size. Worked out fine for me, of course it's not an ideal solution if you'll be doing this a lot but like I said I only needed to make this one cover.