Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Putty Squad is finally seeing release!

As many of the board members will know, Putty Squad was the sequel to Silly Putty (later renamed Putty) which was never released. CU Amiga, Amiga Format and Amiga Power all had review code for the game, but ever since the game has never seen release on the Amiga.

Sadly, the game is still not seeing release on the Amiga, but rather on the iPhone/iPad/iPod and PS3/PSP.

http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=817&s=1111

(I just remembered that the game was released on SuperNES after I typed the above, but still, thought you guys might like to know).

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is annoying that this game was finished but never released on the Amiga. Surely any sales they would have made from the game would have been better than none?

Someone, somewhere, must have a review copy of the game that was sent to the magazines? It would be brilliant to locate it and get it into the Amiga scene. I know some over at EAB working on the unreleased games site think the same.

At least we did see the SNES release, which can easily be played via emulation.

I'm wondering how a touchscreen version of the game will work as well as the joystick controls. Tempting to try the PSP version though. If I remember correctly the PSP Go downloadable games will also work on the older PSP?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the game is being released as a PSP Mini then it will work on the older PSPs, which seems to be the case here.

I think part of the reason why review code hasn't been seen is because System 3 were working on a PS2 version not too long ago, and as such in order not to dent the sales of that version would not want a complete version running around in the public domain (even if it were on a different format).

Today I sent System 3 the following email using the form on their site:

"Hiya, I'm just wondering why Putty Squad was never
    published on the Amiga, when the game was obviously in a complete state
    since several magazines were able to review the game (these reviews being
    quoted on your page for the new release of Putty Squad on the PS3, iPad,
    etc)?

Also, are there any plans to bring the first game in the series, Putty, to
    PS3, iPad, etc? I loved this game, and I know many others did too, even if
    it was fiendishly difficult, hehe!"

And here is the reply I got:

"Hi *******,

Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately when the Amiga version was originally written, it was
    completed just at the point which Amiga sales were declining and therefore
    the company made the decision to hold it off but the market never improved.
    Somewhat frustating given that the game was complete.

However, we resurrected all the old code and have updated the game for PS3,
    iPad, iPhone and PSP. Currently there are no plans to do the same thing for
    the first version because the assets do not exist I'm afraid. But who
    knows, if Putty Squad does well then it may well be worth the effort to
    recreate from scratch.

Regards

John."

As such, straight from the horse's mouth, the game was completed on the Amiga, so your theory of the game being out there is correct. But from what I can gather, the only people who are known to have it were CU Amiga, Amiga Format and Amiga Power. The odds of any of their ex-staff still having the disks are slim to none, which is a shame, but there may be other avenues of investigation I haven't thought of.
    Last edited by Yanni Oblivion; 12th February 2011 at 23:43.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed. A copy must exist somewhere...

It is also interesting to read that the assets for the original first game no longer exist. It always amazes me how many developers lose the original assets for games, and the same is true for every media across the board. I remember a few years ago having to work on a web campaign, disassembling a flash movie .fla file to extract the assets back out to use in the rest of its associated campaign, because the original designers/developers no longer had the assets. Mad! I suppose you can understand the assets of a 20+ year old game not surviving though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I know the feeling, for that reason I've started to organise my files better and burn anything I'm not going to use for potentially years to DVD.

There must be a way to rip the assets from the Amiga version, but to do that would probably require a program written for Amiga use (if only via emulation). Having said that, I just found this site with some of the game assets on it...

http://puttymoon.predseda.com/downloads.htm

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice find. I noticed the people creating that site are well known in the Amiga community. Especially "Chain".

As for stripping game assets. There are quite a few tools for doing this in the Amiga scene. The demo scene groups were especially good at creating tools for this, as they often asset stripped content from games to use in the demos. These tools can normally extract the sprites, mod music files and other graphics from the game code. It would be cool to create a thread to explore these tools and see how well they work.