Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joystick/Games Pad Problems

Hi I have just brought a game pad for my amiga 1200 and I can not seem to get it to work, Do I need a program or driver for it, I also have a joystick which doesn't seem to work either do I need a program to calibrate it

Kind Regards

James F

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No you shouldn't need any drivers for Amiga joysticks. The joystick ports are a standard part of the Amiga design and their support is built into the roms. In games and other software they should just work.

What joystick is it you have purchased?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi there I have a quick shot joystick also just an unbranded game pad which doesn't seem to do anything

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do both ports not work?

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by James2010 View Post
    also just an unbranded game pad which doesn't seem to do anything
    Nothing a little hackery wouldn't fix
    I've "converted" a few Genesis and Pegazus (Polish NES clone) pads and it's easy, all you have to do is check the signals and solder the wires directly onto the pad's board.

But yeah, like Harry mentioned, first make sure the ports work at all - test them with the mouse, anything, and then check the non-working joystick/pad for a switch of somesort that might exist.
    IF the ports work and the joy/pads don't, get inside them and test them for connection problems.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely try to see if the ports are working first. Easiest way is with a mouse connected and boot from a workbench disk. If the mouse works in Workbench, then you know the ports are working. If that doesn't work then it is a hardware problem that we might be able to track down and help you fix.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Mouse Port Works, the joystick port seems to work slightly, if the joystick port has gone down will I need to get another motherboard? I have tried plugging the mouse into the joystick port but it doesn't do anything and vise versa

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only way you could test a mouse in the joystick port is if you loaded a game that supported 2 player mouse gaming. Lemmings does if you have that.

It is normally possible to repair A1200 motherboards for such issues if it is a hardware fault. Also, worth mentioning is that on later version of the A1200, the motherboard's joystick ports were not part of the main motherboard, but an additional little board connected to the main board via a cable. If you have a board like this then the connection might be lose and just need reseating. Failing that, a common issue with joystick/mouse ports is something called the CIA chips on the motherboard. On the older A500 these were socketed so could be replaced, but sadly on the A1200 they are surface mounted, so not as easy to change. However, we still know people who can service and repair Amigas so all is not lost.

Failing that, there are also some who can source replacement working motherboards also. But first, it would be good to fully make sure the ports are working or not, or if it is just the joysticks you have.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont have any games like that also I have checked the portand it is permantluy fixed to the motherboard,the thing is I am not surew if it worked when I got it so I think that maybe I have brought a duff one who really knowsI am not going to give on it! lolif you have any more suggestions then please let me know
    thanks again
    james

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will have a look for you and see if there are any programs to test the ports for you.