C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

eSATA on internal SATA III

Image Burn was not working anymore, hung up whilst trying to load the CD-ROM drivers, then after 5 minutes it quit, and gave me a blue screen forcing the PC to reboot.

As I have 5 SATA disk drives on my internal SATA II controllers, and on the 6th SATA II controller I have the external eSATA port attached, I plugged the CD-ROM drive to one of the internal SATA III controllers. Now I realized that this was the problem, CD-ROM didn't want to be plugged to a SATA III controller. After changing that, Image Burn worked again.

So I changed again, leaving me now with 5 disk drives and 1 CD-ROM drive on the 6 SATA II controllers, and I want them to be that way, SATA II 1-5 are the HDD and SATA II 6 is the CD-ROM.

But now I have the external eSATA port attached to the internal SATA III controller, and my question is, does this work? Can the eSATA port be attached to a SATA III controller, or does it need to be on a SATA II controller?

I cannot test this, as so far I don't have an eSATA disk yet.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AFAIK SATA III should be fully backwardly compatible with SATA II, and as the eSATA port you have plugged into it is just a port extender it shouldn't be a problem.

However, i think the cables and ports needed for SATA III are a higher specification than SATA II, so anything you plug into the eSATA port might only run at SATA II speeds. But that is still be 300MB/s, so more than fast enough for most devices.

BTW, I hope you have a powerful PSU in your PC if you are running 5 HDDs. Although each HDD should only require about 30W maximum each, so total of 150W needed for all 5, HDDs put a lot of strain on the PSU at bootup time, as they need to draw a lot more Amps from the PSU to spin up and begin working.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a Pioneer DVR-218L plugged into the SATA III and it worked, only Image Burn had problems recognizing it, still don't know why though.

I have a 700W PSU, the COUGAR S700, really nice, reliable, performant and quiet PSU.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Cougar PSUs are meant to be some of the most efficient and reliable. Sadly they are a German/Taiwan make based on HEC PSUs, and so are not normally sold in the UK.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!