Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree, I don't think that Nintendo's Wii is much innovative, for me it looks more back to the cave. Ugh ugh, light fire, ugh. SWOOOOSH with the remote and it's on, you're kidding me

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All men play with their wii.

And I nod with approval at that list of favourites, toomanymikes. Played all of those games at one time or the other (except Hunter), and enjoyed them plenty.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think the Wii is really that much of an innovation either. The actual hardware is last generation, with the CPU and graphics just being updated versions of those found in the Gamecube. Yes the control system is different to the norm, but the Sony Eye Toy on the PS2 offered much the same motion sensing ideas years ago, with the camera motion detection giving maybe even more innovation as you could see yourself within the games as you played. Can the Wii do that?

The innovation with the Wii is that games for the system are easily accessible to non gamers and can be picked up and instantly enjoyed. Most being party games that you could easily compare to traditional party games. But it has the knock on effect of making most games for the system superfluous and short lived. A contract to games that long time gamers seek.

The Wii motion control system is well implemented and well conceived, but as is often the case with Nintendo systems only the first party software really takes advantage of it in the right way and creating well realised ways of using the controls. Pretty much all third party releases have yet to get to grips with the controls and end up being games that are harder to control than on other systems that are using a traditional control system.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eye toy was gash, though, quite a flawed system. It had potential and could be a laugh but never a more than that, it never worked properly.

The Wii may not be a powerhouse, but it was never meant to be. As an affordable piece of fun kit, something a little bit different, it's very good indeed. It's much more innnovative than simply 'making a more powerful machine'.

But this is all old news and this is a topic for Amiga games, so I won't say any more - it was just me playing devil's advocate after all.

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What i miss is the old format wars that used to happen when i was a kid. Completly irrelevant and purile, but great fun:
    "What you got?"
    "Amiga 500"
    "There rubbish, my ST is better"
    "Your talking mince - why?"
    "When you turn it on it has a picture of the statue of liberty while your Amiga just has a hand holding a disk"
    "That stcik man is meant to be the statue of liberty? Ha!"
    And so on...(this was an actual conversation that my mate and me had in school).
    As for the Wii and PS3 - i think the wii controls are great, especially for non gamers, and i think the graphics and capabilities of the PS3 are fantastic but id love to have a system that combined the two. My amiga did this back in 1989. I opened up my a600 for a bit of a snoop and was amazed to find a hard disk cradle and a modem input on the back - hell it even has a stereo output, something the wii dosent have today! All in all it was such an impressive and future proofed computer - its a real shame that they dont make them any more.
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also remember the ST vs Amiga arguments well. Those were greater than any fan boy arguments you get these days comparing systems.

The big difference back then was that the systems and specs were largely very similar and very close to each other so the comparisons were much more about little details.

I remember an argument between an ST and Amiga user about how the ST was far better than the Amiga because the 68000 of the ST was clocked slightly higher than that of the Amiga. We are talking 7.16MHz compared to 8MHz. Madness. And this didn't take into account how the custom chips in the Amiga let the main CPU get on with processing while the ST's CPU had to do everything itself.

In complete contrast today the PS3 and Wii are nowhere near to being the same in terms of spec or target gaming style. Therefore unlike the old days they cannot really be compared as most dedicated gamers will own both eventually anyway. It would definitely be cool to see the control system of the Wii on hardware as powerful as the PS3. Maybe the next Nintendo system will deliver this, but we all know that Nintendo concentrate the most on the gameplay and not the hardware running it. And the PS3 does have the six axis system in the controller so it does have something. But has it been utilised properly yet?

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also remember the ST vs Amiga arguments well. Those were greater than any fan boy arguments you get these days comparing systems.
    Strangely enough, the argument erupted again at a demoparty called Big Floppy People this year. A demo for the Amiga was released by Hot Boyling Boys, and this production was aimed at intimidating Atari owners. Quite a few people (I've read) became upset by this, as there is hardly any platform wars left on the Scene. I personally dislike the production and even if it's a joke, it's not a good one.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Seeing Amiga and Atari fans talking tosh about each other's machines was always amusing ... and most of the discussion was about - yes - tiny little details. 'My version of game X has more colours.' 'Yeah?! But my dad can beat up your dad.'

I suppose it was natural to want to defend our purchase of choice back then - I mean, none of us had much money to spend, and when we got a new computer, it was likely we'd be stuck with just that for the next 3-4 years.

If all computers/consoles were free, there'd be no such thing as pointless bickering about who owned the better piece of gear. Come to think of it, why not make everything free? That would surely end all conflicts and wars that plague our world

About the use of the Sixaxis' motion controls in current games, it's been implemented in a few games so far. In MotorStorm, you can actually turn on a feature that allows you to tilt the controller to mimick a steering wheel. Pretty neat. In Resistance, whenever some foe grabs hold of you or you get ignited by a flame grenade, shaking the controller allows you to break free or shake off the fire.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    Come to think of it, why not make everything free? That would surely end all conflicts and wars that plague our world
    The one problem with this is the main problem of humanity. Greed!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, and religion too! Add that to the list of things to be scrapped.