Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Settlers was great - never got into it's sequels but the original was just the type of strategy game I like. With most of them I spend ages building up my empire and then crush the enemy with the first attack. With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.
    I wasn't alone then. I also couldn't quite work out the fight system. I know you had to make sure your Knights had a good supply of gold going to their outposts, which was meant to boost their moral and make them better in a fight, but the actual fight results still seemed a bit random in my view. It was always great seeing the little knights leave their building, draw their sword and march into battle.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.
    Mega-Lo-Mania was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it a lot. The Sensi humour was very evident here, and it was a good game as well - simple enough, but with a decent amount of depth to make you go back and play some more. Much like Alex mentions, though, I used to spend time making a big army to flatten the enemy in one go rather than lots of little skirmishes. Didn't always work, mind.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The battle system in Settlers has always been a mystery to me. I once lost 6 or 7 knights in a row, to the same defender. WTF.

And Mega-lo-Mania ... ah, such fond memories I have of that game. It's a shame that no more games like that are made anymore - simple in concept, but fiendishly addictive all the same. My tactic has always been amassing huge armies as well, and then flattening the opponents in one big sweep.

I wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush played Mega-lo-Mania when he was a kid. It would explain why the guy's so paranoid. Why else would he be so afraid of the Iranians and North Koreans? That's right, they're secretly developing Flying Saucers as we speak

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

List as follows in no particular order:

Speedball 2
    x out
    agony
    project x
    alien breed 2
    shadow of the beast 1 & 2
    another world
    hunter
    desert strike
    chase hq
    cannon fodder
    superfrog
    james pond
    stardust
    gods
    first samurai
    populous 2

My all time fave has to be turrican 2 - i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga. Graphics, music and gameplay were out of this world.

Wow - nostalgia overload!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some nice games you listed there
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga.
    That's what I call enthusiasm, excitement and fascination.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That just shows how impressive the Amiga was at the time compared to everything else on offer. And is one of the main reasons why it has remained a favourite system for many people, even after so many years.

The same cannot be said of today's systems. They may all have impressive specs and be able to generate amazing visuals but they are very closely matched. The PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 can all generate near to identical end results so we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.

Part of the magic for me in the earlier gaming generations was the large differences that could appear between systems within a single generation, often ending up with a single platform more powerful than the others, but with developers of the lessor systems still trying to push them to aspire to the best on offer.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.
    *whispers* That'll be Nintendo, then.

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little poke, there.