Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
    As a PC support guy both hardware and software, I can tell you why people steer clear of Norton... I cannot tell you how many machines I have had to rebuild due to Norton "Activation" issues... They have the worst activation and subscription service I have ever dealt with. More often than not even Norton themselves cannot fix the subscription problems and cannot even uninstall their own software. Reminds me of AOL many years back that would take over the system and had no way to remove. (They later got their asses sued off due to these types of issues and I think Norton should as well.) Norton often requires a complete machine rebuild to fix the issue and in todays' world that is just unacceptable. I belive Harrison said that the new version supposedly fixes these issues and I certanly hope so... But for my money I will not take a chance on their shoddy software when there are so many alternative options out there...

Just my opinion... Good luck with whatever choice you make..
    Hmm, interesting!

I guess for me, I always have had my laptop connected to the net, so I've had no need to remove it. I can't say that I've ever experienced that issue. Interesting that it is such an issue though.

But in terms of protection, how would you rate it/ what do you think is the best? That's what I'm looking for, as for me, I haven't had issues with installation, activation or updates...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, some updates. I removed BitDefender again from my main PC and my laptop, it had an annoying major problem, which seems to be common. It asks you in the beginning if you want to perform a deep scan, meaning a full scan of all existing files on your disks. Problem is first of all that this takes very long, I had to stop it on my laptop after 6 hours because I wanted to switch it off, I use it here at work, and don't want to leave it outside on my desk over night.

But every time now I turn the laptop on, it starts with the deep scan task immediately, you can stop it manually, but after every restart, it starts from scratch. There's no way (at least I couldn't find whilst searching nor on the internet) to stop it from doing it, and there's also no option to tell it that you don't want to do a deep scan at all. It then always shows you an error message that this task has never been completed. So far so good, I could live with that message, but guess what happens again after the next restart!!

On my main PC I let it finish the deep scan, which took some days because my 10TB disks already contain millions of files. As that system is running 24/7, I just let it finish. Once done I was really happy, because also during the deep scan your PC suffers slowdowns. But then, after 30 days, it wants to do the whole operation again, and again it shows you the error message all the time if you're not doing it, and of course again it starts the deep scan every time you restart your PC.

This was after some time annoying me really much so that I decided to remove the whole software. Now I'm again working with Avast and Comodo.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know you had some problems with Kaspersky, but I've just upgrades last month to the latest Kaspersky Security Suite 2011 and it is improved on previous versions. You don't even notice it is there unless a thread is detected, and it doesn't have any annoying warning to do full scans as you have been getting. It just warns you that it hasn't been performed in a message box if you open the main main window. Other than that it is never seen and just sits in the background working.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could perhaps test Kaspersky on my laptop, then I would have tested most of them But I should do that anyway before buying some stuff straight away only based on good reviews, I think you will always have to see for yourself. Is there a trial version of the Security Suite, I only find a trial for Internet Security, but perhaps that will already do the job, mainly only needing a good antivirus and a firewall. What is the difference between these 2?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Btw, did you try Kaspersky Pure? It has even more features than the whole Internet Security, don't know if I would need the additional stuff though.

EDIT: Is Kaspersky Pure actually the "Suite" you meant?
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 1st October 2010 at 06:17.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The suite is also called "Internet Security 2011" so is the same thing.

Pure is their larger package and similar in idea to Norton 360 with extra features for system secrity, such as backup utility, password manager, security tune-up and file encryption. It also includes everything you get with Internet Security 2011 in terms of the firewall and virus scanner. I looked at this when I updated my license last month and decided it didn't contain anything I needed over the Internet Security package. Only really useful for families with the parental control and password manager. Things you can easily get from free utilities if needed.

Regarding the discount code. It probably only works in the UK because its a discount code for Royal Mail employees. It was a good one though as it gave a 50% discount. There might be other discount codes around.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed Norton 360 again now to give it a try, because last time it didn't update, but that was my fault, as several other stuff was still running. Now it seems to work, and if I compare reviews on the internet, Norton is still one of the best internet security programs, averaging even slightly better than Kaspersky, which apparently takes a lot more resources. I was also looking closer at ZoneAlarm Security, which made 1st place on some sites, but after reading some comments, I got more and more sceptical. Also Webroot Security seemed to be fine, but again after reading many comments, I had my doubts.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No security suite is ever perfect. I avoid ZoneAlarm myself after using their firewall years ago and having a lot of issues with it. It conflicted with software, not allowing it to run and made the system very unstable. Things might have improved since then, but a bad experience is often enough to avoid something again.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer Comodo Internet Security (Antivirus+Firewall).
    It's free and works perfectly

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I installed Norton 360 again now to give it a try, because last time it didn't update, but that was my fault, as several other stuff was still running. Now it seems to work, and if I compare reviews on the internet, Norton is still one of the best internet security programs, averaging even slightly better than Kaspersky, which apparently takes a lot more resources. I was also looking closer at ZoneAlarm Security, which made 1st place on some sites, but after reading some comments, I got more and more sceptical. Also Webroot Security seemed to be fine, but again after reading many comments, I had my doubts.
    Good to hear about Norton, they have really trimmed the fat out so it's not a resource hungry beast anymore
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/