C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Disk space upgrade

I configured file sharing at home yesterday, so that I can access my files from anywhere in the network, mainly to be able to access my disks on the main PC with my emulation PC.

Now I don't have to use my external USB disks anymore for backups, which is slow and tedious, as first I have to copy and synchronize the files from one PC to USB disk, then attach to the emulation PC, and repeat the whole procedure.

With now accessing every disk from main PC to emulation PC and versa, I can easily transfer data, and finally get rid of all the spare USB disks. Vice Versa Pro also works fine with the file sharing.

I also ordered 2 more 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 EcoGreen disks, totaling 5 disks now in my main PC, giving me 10TB of space for further collecting

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. 10TB should take a few weeks to fill..

How come you hadn't switched sharing on for the drives in your PCs before now?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    How come you hadn't switched sharing on for the drives in your PCs before now?
    Good question, but I never really thought about it before, because there was not really the need for it. On my old PC I even didn't have 1TB in total, so I couldn't hold all my stuff there. Now that changed, and I have still a lot of space (at the moment).

Always was looking for a raid 5 solution, but with any NAS it was just too slow. Thought again about it some days ago, wanted to buy a faster raid card to put into the PC, but then I thought that I wouldn't want to make a raid 5 environment anyway, there's not really the need for it, I just synchronize the stuff with Vice Versa, which works just fine. And with the raid you have to pay attention not to delete files on the wrong side, otherwise they'll be gone forever.

Then a friend (Zyriax) told me why not doing file sharing, that it would be quite easy to configure and that I would be able that way to reach any disk in the network at decent speed, making USB disks obsolete.

I downloaded some bigger sets recently, CD-i, Saturn, Mega CD, 3DO... which I now will keep on one disk, and if I want to try out a game, I just get it from there to my emulation PC, as that one only has a 1TB disk, and I really don't want to put another one. There's 2 disks fitting in the barebone, I have 2 500MB disks in it, but spanned. And with the sharing, there's also no need to upgrade again, I just keep all my disks in the main PC.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Disks are inside and running, it's nice to have 10TB, still a lot of free space.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes me realise I also now need more storage again!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!