Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy A600HD screen output blue hue

Hi,

About a week ago the A600HD screen when to a green hue, then shortly after a blue hue. Its still showing a blue hue. Tried other screens and cables but nothing has made any difference.

Any ideas?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are still getting a picture, but with a blue hue?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Correct. Apart from the blue hue the image is perfect.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've asked some friends if they have any idea what could be causing this and will let you know what they say.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Years ago I had the exact same issue on my PC. Turned out my VGA plug was coming loose so the pins on one side of the connector wasn't connecting (this problem took me quite a while to solve, too ). You say you've tried other cables so I'm wondering if it's the port on the Amiga which has some dead pins for some reason? Maybe something needs resoldering? Just guessing here though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am also guessing a dry solder joint on the RGB port, but it might also be other things like the custom chipset. Problem with the A600 is everything is surface mounted so is hard to replace or fix anything. Although replacement motherboards can be found cheap if it turns out to be the problem.

One thing to check is to connect the A600 to a TV using the yellow composite video output on the back. If the picture is still blue then it must be an issue with the hardware itself. If the picture looks in colour and OK then it is probably a problem with the RGB port.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reply back from Merlin:

"More than likely it's leaking capacitors causing a decay in voltage on the red and green lines, leaving only blue near the correct voltage. That would explain why the green colour fades as the voltage decays."

To check this you need to open up the A600 and remove the top shielding. To do this, open the case carefully and unplug the keyboard cables as you open the case. Then remove the floppy drive, unplugging it as you go, and finally remove the top shield by releasing all of the metal clips around its edge.

To inspect the capacitors, look at each and see if you can see any budging tops (they should be flat) or leaking substance from them (often yellow/orange in colour). If you spot any of this then the caps will need replacing. Failing that, I know some friends you can look at it for you and repair the Amiga if needed.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reply back from Zetr0:

"This is most likely (95%) a video feed Capactitor fault -

however the other 5% in me say's that this could also be DAC failure... although its uncommon its best to know that this is possible."

I would definitely trust this analysis and Zetr0 knows what he is on about. And as Merlin said above, it is more likely a capacitor, and Zetr0 has identified which is the most likely cause. So a cap replacement might well be in order.

I hope that information is useful to you.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok that gives me some place to start looking. I have when the issue first appeared inspected the top side of the MB but not in any great detail. I couldn't at stage stage see any leaking caps but I will remove the board completely and go over it again in detail.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll post back on my findings.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok I read your post and all reply and so I think you need to show this problem to its authorized service center so solve this problem and I think this is hardware problem.
    [url=http://www.dealchecker.co.uk/cheap-carhire/belfast.html]belfast car hire[/url]