Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Apocalyptic RPGs - Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Some of you are into Post Apocalyptic style games, so I thought I would mention the Digital Devil Saga games in case you have missed them.

This RPG series is on the PS2 and has a very nicely polished anime graphical style and some great gameplay.

I was initially a bit confused as to the sequence of the Shin Megami Tensei games, but DC told me the sequence they were released in, so that is probably the best order to play them in:

* Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner

All of the games in this series centre around he game characters ability to transform into Demon forms during combat, but the two Digital Devil Saga games interest me the most as these are the games that centre around a Post Apocalyptic world.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    but DC told me the sequence they were released in
    The sequence I suppose them to be released, I'm not 100% sure. But that was the way I downloaded them, and as I d/l RPGs as soon as they are released, I suppose this is the correct sequence.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it's not 100% required to play these four games in sequence anyway, as Nocturne and Devil Summoner are single games and not follow ons. The only two that do need to be played in sequence are the Digital Devil Saga games.

BTW, I thought Devil Summoner looked really cool when I had a quick test play. Quite a hard combat system to grasp though.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I just checked everything, and the sequence is correct like I said.

* Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in EU)
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 (Avatar Tuner 1)
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (Avatar Tuner 2)
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, so both of the Digital Devil Saga's were subtitled Avatar Tuner after all. That's interesting to know, and I love how the additional subtitled to each just makes it a whole lot more confusing to the uninitiated. This series definitely must have some of the longest complete titles of any.

Great series though, and I'm glad I started to take an interest in the series and didn't miss it. Cheers for the original RPG list DC, without it I definitely would have missed these games.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What are they like, apart form being post apocalyptic? Real time, turn based...etc....
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The game's visual style is quite unique and distinctive. The Japanese artist Kazuma Kaneko is responsible for the design and graphical style, and to give you an idea of his previous work, be creating the visuals for Persona and Zone of the Enders.

This quote from IGN sums up the visuals quite nicely:

Combining the familiar post-apocalyptic base of movies like Akira and Ghost in the Shell with the techno-organic look of Evangelion, Digital Devil Saga offers quite a spectacular and callous look at the far-off future. Its union of grays, pales, and the occasional neon light is quite striking, and when combined with its primitive but militaristic character designs, makes an impressive overall package.

The combat is a 3 character turn based system with a lot of scope for experimentation. It also rewards extra attacks during a turn if you use the correct strategy on the enemy (an ice spell on a fire creature for example).

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice pictures, I only played Nocturne a bit, only tried the others if they work. And btw, I will keep the RPG list updated, with future RPGs to come for the PS2, but I doubt there will be a lot.

EDIT: @Submeg. Battles are turn based.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So sort of like ff battle styles? Interesting. I have to admit, I'm not a massive RPG fan, but it seems that RPGs are really, IMO, the only games that you really get your money's worth. A game needs depth and mostly all RPG deliver.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly, and this is one reason I love RPGs so much. You normally get at least 30 hours gameplay from the leanest of RPGs, and closer to 60 or more for the best ones when you take the time to explore and do all the side quests.

Also there are a large variety of different gaming styles within the genre including realtime combat with beat em up elements, turn based, or even full scale strategy wargame battlefield encounters. And not forgetting the variety of gaming environments they are set in. Some are more traditional with fantasy settings, whereas others are futuristic with mechs, or other futuristic settings and machines, whilst others are set in completely different universes with different rules and concepts. So much to explore in the RPG genre compared to any other that I bet most people would be able to find a game they liked regardless of their usual preferred gaming genres.